Anyone use a smaller charcoal ring for WSM 22 for shorter cooks?

Mike_S

TVWBB Member
I'm debating purchasing either the 18 or 14 inch charcoal ring for my 22 WSM for when I do short cooks like ribs and chicken. Anyone here do this? What were the results?

That is a great idea that I'm sure more than a few have tried. Hopefully someone will chime in shortly. I don't have a 22" WSM but do have the 18 and 14 so I choose the cooker for the size of the cook. I can see the advantages of having different size rings for the 22WSM. Watching.

I was really thinking on getting a 22 in charcoal ring for my kettle to use with my Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System, but I just could not justify the 50 to 60 bucks it would cost me. I don't think there is anything wrong with this idea, I just think it is a pricy solution with a much simpler option to solve the problem which Bob just said before me.

Nope. Sorry. We just shut down everything and reuse the charcoal for the next cook...
Yup, same here. Just can’t really see any benefit you would get by using a smaller basket. Just load less fuel in it if you don’t want to reuse charcoal. Just my opinion.

I have all three WSM sizes with the upgraded CB charcoal rings for the 22 and the 18. The 18” standard ring stays in the 22 most the time for shorter cooks with lots of meat. Mainly I use the 18” ring when cooking 8 or more tri-tips on the 22 where cook time is a little over an hour but I don’t need a full load of coals. The advantage is I can stack them easier with a smaller ring as opposed less coals spread out over a larger area. Seems to be more consistent heat. As for saving coals I do but save those for the kettle and not to reuse in the WSM

Back