Anyone Smoked Duck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took 2 hours to get the duck to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

This was at a fairly low lid temp in the WSM: started at 230, ended at 250.

You can cook the duck in a regular oven too at 325-300 degrees. I like to get the WSM about as hot. It should take about an hour and a half at this temp to get the breast to 160 deg.

Let me know if you try it.

I'm hoping to get a wild duck for Christmas. Should wild ducks be cooked any different since they would tend to be leaner than a farm raised, store bought duck?

Was thinking about duck, too. Picked thru site threads and Susan Z. mentioned once she had a good flare up occur...

Would like to roti sucker but, Sue - exactly how volitale was goose grease? Did you bank coals far enough away or is there no 'far enough' when roti'ing duck...?

Cud be pretty expensive bonfire...

Phil

I would be very careful in not overcooking it since it is leaner and could come out dry. I would take it out at 155 deg. internal instead and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.

Jeff, Susan - I'm doing duck (2) roti for the Christmas feast; I would like to dip (boiling water, etc) prior. Can this be done day before, dried, then prepped for cooking to rest in fridge for next day grill...

Or is boiling et al best done same day?

Many thks!

~Ken

I've never tried the boiling trick. I think I"m going to prepare my goose the same way I cooked my duck (not the poor blackened one that met with the inferno). Per Raichlen's duck instructions---I pricked it all over (only skin deep with a fork) and set it in the fridge uncovered overnight. Then before the cook, I pricked it all over again and cut slits near the leg joints (of course, it was a beer can duck, so that was to help the fat drain out the bottom). Anyway, the goose is gonna' get the same treatment, even tho it's going on the rotiss.

I can't recall the flash point for duck fat, but my first cook went wrong when I added red hot coals after the first hour. For the next cook I used the minion method, so that solved the problem.

I took that thing to over 160 (my mom is paranoid about undercooked poultry) and it was great. Looking forward to the goose!

Ken

You should boil it at least one to two days ahead. Let it dry by a fan and keep basting it as it dries. Then put it uncovered in the refrigerator for a day or so to get the skin bone dry. Let us know how it came out.

Many thks for replies; Read Raichlen's duck instructions and plan to do something between the peking style and l'orange. With luck - and your tips - a 'crispy roti duck l'orange'.

Only wish Santa brought a digital camera; then again, if it's a bonfire...

That duck fire was SPECTACULAR! Poor duck was the deepest black you've ever seen---but we still ate what we could!

Mine was beer can duck a l'orange (cuze my ducks came with orange sauce that was actually pretty nice).

Are you going to make Raichlen's scallion pancakes? I'm going to do that with my goose.

Wow. That's alotta grease...

Roti'd two bell & evans ducks (4.5pds eachs at about $13 a duck). Prepped day before by dipping in boiling water (prior threads). Pricked liberally day of (couple of slits, too) and garnished with salt & pepper. Thoroughly air dried by grill time.

In at 6p (25 d) and performer kettle roti at 375 by 6:15. Reduced to 325 by 6:45 and done by 7:20; foiled for 15 min's then diced the duck. Sauce was Raichlen's l'orange...

Two 16 oz cans of grease dripped off these birds; was pretty nerve wrecking listening to my grill w/ Susan Z's bonfire in mind. But treat was delectable and all was consumed.

Skin could have been crispier but I think next time I'll shell out for Muscovy/leanest duck I can find...

Couldn't image doing this one in the home oven.

Sounds like you enjoyed the duck. The foiling may have hurt the crispyness or perhaps a rotisserie bird doesnt give it also? Any reason why you foiled?

The tradional way to make peking or roast duck is to insert a bicycle pump nozzle or an air compressor between the skin and the meat of the duck. This literally blows the duck up to completely separate the skin from the meat. This gives it a really crispy skin. Here is a link to a similar recipe: http://www.quaypress.com/winefood/devonkitchen/duck.html

If I don't blow it up with the pump I try to pull and tug gently on the skin to separate it with my fingers without tearing it. This helps considerably in crisping it up.

Good luck.... next time it will be perfect.....

Thks for weighing in, Jeff...

Foiled it because I've found techique so successful at juicing along meat - I could see my skin, tho' good, was not steller - and wanted to make sure meat would be succulent.

Can't wait to try again, and like many a 'grill' thing, know practice can get to pretty perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back