Anyone Smoked Duck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I do it: it is like a peking duck in the beginning and a smoked duck in the end.

1 whole duck
big pot of water
2 Long Island ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each
Marinade:
soy sauce( get the good kind from the chinese store if you can)
minced garlic
minced ginger
2 tablespoons ground white pepper
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
Take a wire clothes hanger and rig it so you can dip the duck
Bring the pot to a boil and dip the duck in for 1 minute. Take out and let water come to a boil again. Dip the duck for 1 minute again. Repeat one more time for a total of three dippings.

Take duck out and let hang some place to dry:under a fan is good.
Combine the rest of the ingredients and rub all over the duck as it is drying. Just take a brush and keep doing it every once in a while. Poke holes all over before you put in frig.Let the duck dry and then put into the frig uncovered to dry.

Smoke at 300-330 degrees until 170 deg. internal.

Serve with a sweet peach or plum sauce.

Enjoy.

Pat,

Yes that is exactly why you dip it three times. It doesn't affect the meat at all. You end up with a thin crisp skin at the end.

Jeff:

Thanks for the recipie, it sounds great. Question - your first three items are 1 whole duck, big pot of water and 2 long island ducklings. I don't follow. That's three ducks? What's the difference between a whole duck and a long island duck?

Thanks.

It is two ducks actually you cn use as many as you want. A long island duck is usually where they get the pekin duck from. Most frozen ducks come from long island I believe.

Yes, but it is very hard to keep lit!

Oh man...somebody had too!
I could not resist! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The dipping into boiling liquid has something to do with opening up the pores in the skin. It doesn't directly render much fat in one minute, but it supposedly prepares the skin to render fat later.

Also, two good brands of Chinese soy sauce (which is very different from Kikoman Japanese style soy sauce) are Kimlan and Pearl River Bridge. Pearl River Bridge has been showing up more and more in the Chinese section of the larger grocery stores. Both Shaw's and Stop 'n Shop now stock it in their New England superstores.

You want to avoid stuff like the Kami brand and go with something made in China or Taiwan or Korea or Thailand. These are authentic naturally brewed soy sauces instead of being manufactured with a chemical process.

Regarding the Pearl River Bridge brand soy sauce, they might have improved their labels recently, but for a long time you had to read them very carefully. In case you come across some older bottles, here's the scoop:

The label reads:
"Superior Soy Sauce" = regular (thin) soy
"Soy, Superior Sauce" = black or dark soy (it's sweeter and slightly thicker)

With all this discussion, I sure am getting hungry for duck!
Rita

Yes many people get confused about the thin and thick soy sauces. It means the amount of molasses in them. Thin means less, thick means more.

Therefore 'Thin' soy sauces are more salty because of less molasses.

Thick are more sweet because of more molasses.

David Rosengarten on the food network was messing this up so much it was driving me crazy.

Pat,

The Pearl River soy sauce is a chinese soy sauce so I doubt they know one exists here in the states!

Musky,

I used apple which I liked a lot or alder. I would say stay with the fruit woods and stay away from the heavier hickory woods.

Just two fistfuls of wood does fine for me. You don't need to oversmoke duck it has so much flavor already.

I finally tried this recipe, and it was great. I used these proportions of ingredients:

2 Tb soy sauce
2 Tb minced garlic
1 Tb minced ginger
5 oz apple wood

I cooked the ducks until the internal temperature reached 160 degrees, then let them cool to room temperature. I reheated them later that day in 180 degree oven, and they came out perfectly cooked.

I do beer can duck because I'm a crispy skin freak. Skin is the number one reason I haven't yet smoked a bird (except for that Canada Goose breast).

Rick glad you enjoyed the recipe. I actually pull them at about 155-160 too in the breast. Did you follow the rest of the recipe with these ingredients? 2 tablespoons ground white pepper
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil

jeff how long would the cooking time be sure got my mouth watering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back