Anyone smoke lamb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S74

TVWBB Member
I am thinkin of smoking up a leg of lamb for christmas.

Has anyone tried this and have any recipes to share or cooking times.

Thanks in advance

Paul,

If you use the search feature and type in lamb or leg of lamb, there are several posts on succcessful cooks that have been done. Good Luck!

Hi Paul,
Norm Corley is great guy to get that advice from. He lives in Athens and has his own website with really great recipes.
On the WSM forum go to the guestbook section . His article is called Yasus Y'all. about 1/2 the way down he gives the link.
Doug

Here is my Easter Leg of Lamb cook which I posted last April:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dave Lewis
TVWB Super Fan
Member # 611

posted 04-20-2003 08:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well no one seems to have much to say on cooking a leg of lamb on the WSM, so I will post how it went in case someone else tries to Q one:

I trimmed most of the fat off of a 4 pound boneless leg of lamb purchased from Costco.

Cut little slits all over it and stuffed a sliver of garlic and sprig of rosemary in each slit

Marinaded it for about 7 hours in mix of red wine, brown sugar, soy sauce and dijon mustard.

Fired up the WSM standard method for a 325-350 degree, no water in the pan, cook. Lit one chimney of coals and when fully lit, dumped into ring and added a 1/2 chimney unlit on top. When all coals were a nice gray, I added 2 fist sized chunks of oak, assembled the WSM, added the lamb to the top grate and set the bottom vents at 33%

The lid temps rose to 390 initially and then dropped to 330 fairly quickly. I opened up the vents to about 40% and the temps ranged 330-338 throughout the cook. No further vent adjustments were needed. Outside temp was 62 degrees, no wind.

The lamb hit 125 degrees internal an hour and 20 minutes later. That amounted to 20 minutes per pound. I let it rest for 30 minutes under foil. The temp rose to 134 during resting.

Sliced 1/2 inch thick slices, 1/8 inch deep smoke ring. Just a hair under med-rare (a little too cooked, next time I will take it off at 120 degrees for a bit rarer meat) Very tasty, except the oak smoke flavor was IMHO a little too dominant. It wasn't bitter or overpowering, just a little dominant. Next time I will try 1 fist sized chunk of oak instead of 2.

Reserved the marinade and boiled it for 15 minutes as finishing sauce for the plate. Excellent.

1 chimney of charcoal would have been sufficient. After an hour and a half the coals were still pretty intact. I closed all the vents to smother the fire and will reuse the coals next cook.

Thats it, pretty easy cook, good results.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually smoke with oak, but any ideas on what wood would be good with lamb? (actually made a sentence with wood-would)

Re lamb.

I'm trying (vainly) to learn to handle my new bullet. I've never seen one in Oz, smoking isn't that popular to my knowledge.
I haven't smoked a leg yet, still trying to get a handle on the temp. Can't keep it up, so to speak, but we cook heaps of 'em through the year the conventional way, inside. The bloke that puts a few slits and inserts a bit of garlic and rosemary is righ on target. A bit of sage is grouse too.
Can't tell you about all the other stuff, we don't, for example, have sugar in the house. The mustard sounds good though.
Just a perspective from the county that used to "ride on the sheep's back".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back