Anyone replace a crossover tube on the Spirit E330? Purchased 11-14-21

Mark Miller

I thought the problem was burner tubes but last night the crossover tube took a long time to light. Can cleaning fix this problem? Is the crossover tube an easy replacement (in the middle of winter)? If this is attached with screws, isn't it possible they are all rusted solid which may require replacement of the burner tubes also?

Last I checked, Weber had NO service in my state of North Carolina.

I found two local repair services. One didn't answer I think. The other wanted about $200 for repair on a $600 grill. They actually wanted to charge more than that just to clean it.

Mark. Those are crazy quotes. I wish you near me, I would do it for parts. Maybe $15 max. I am not expressly familiar with the newer Spirits, but if they use a crossover tube, it should be pretty easy to replace it. Even if you have to remove the manifold to get the burners/crossover tube out, it is not a big deal.

Can you post a photo of your grill on the outside front and then one on the inside showing the crossover tube. You may just need to clean it off with a wire brush. I am sure there are others here with more familiarity with those newer spirit grills that can give you more detailed advice.

The other wanted about $200 for repair on a $600 grill. They actually wanted to charge more than that just to clean it.

It is virtually impossible to get anyone to come to
your house and do anything these days for under
$75. Not just grill related.... anything. Plumber,
HVAC, you name it. A professional grill repair business
is no different and $200 is not unreasonable.
Also, the 4 burner system used in the 330 is goofy.
It is not the same as the 310's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089YW7GCL/?tag=tvwb-20

OEM burners are around $100. There is only one knock off that
I am aware of, and they are about $90.
I believe the main crossover from a 310 would work, but you will
likely have to replace the little center cross over as well.
There is no replacement just for it, and you may as well just
replace the burners while you are at it.

Crossburner tubes can be purchased from Grillparts.com for the Spirit grill. The grill should be under warranty with Weber.

You pull off the knobs. Unscrew the front panel from the valves. Unscrew the front panel from the frame and move away. Remove the igniter from the leftmost burner. At this point you can either remove the screws that hold down the burners if not damaged or rotten or remove the manifold and slide back the burner tubes and lift out. Replace the crossburner tube or replace the burner tubes and crossburner tube.

You need some sockets and a philips head screw driver. While your grill is open you might as well scrape out the firebox to clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• 68FE3BC0-7F00-4ECB-A503-3E294E7E6D0A.png
    68FE3BC0-7F00-4ECB-A503-3E294E7E6D0A.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 8
You could pay the guy to clean and fix it. That would very likely fix all your problems. Last time I called the refrigerator repair guys, they worked on the fridge for an hour or so, accomplished nothing, then said it couldn't be fixed, and charged me a service fee anyway. Weber grills are not like that - they are very fixable. I don't have a problem with paying repair guys, but I do try to fix things myself first.

If you are put off by the price, welcome to the world of forums and YouTube videos. The cheapest option would be to first try to clean what you have before even ordering parts.

If December in North Carolina is really that bad, wheel the grill inside or make other accommodations. Worst case - wait until Spring.

First, contact Weber. I had to replace mine after a year because it would not light properly even after cleaning. They sent me an entire new burner assembly. It is pretty simple to replace, but you do need to pull the control panel off the front, so you will be in the cold for a little while. Pay attention to the burners you removed as they only fit in one orientation. Weber will want pics of the problem, so you will need to remove the grates and flavorizer bars to do that. You only need simple tools and anyone with the least amount of skill should be able to fix it. No need to hire it done. Weber includes instructions with the burners.

So it took a while but Weber sent me the parts which I have not looked at yet. Pretty busy at work. I'll try googling for videos. I can't seem to find the right ones yet.

I thought I had seen a replacement video where they didn't remove the front panel but were able to put on the new parts anyway. I'll go back to YouTube. I'm pretty sure I saved it but I don't recall if it was for my specific model.

So it took a while but Weber sent me the parts which I have not looked at yet. Pretty busy at work. I'll try googling for videos. I can't seem to find the right ones yet.

I thought I had seen a replacement video where they didn't remove the front panel but were able to put on the new parts anyway. I'll go back to YouTube. I'm pretty sure I saved it but I don't recall if it was for my specific model.
You will need to pull the panel on your model. Did Weber include an instruction sheet with the burners? Pretty simple.

On the topic of crossover tubes.....
Does anyone have any comments/input on replacement burners having crossover tubes with round holes instead of slits like the originals?
My Spirit I (front knobs) cross over tube is getting close to end of life --- I've cleaned it well many times - I have a nice little screwdriver that fits the slots perfectly to clean them - painstakingly long to do, but effective - but now the slots are starting to bust out. I see most of the replacement burner sets come with crossovers with round holes --- I've never used or seen one in action.... wondering if they throw more/less heat than the stock slotted ones. I'm assuming that the holes are much less prone to getting gunked up or rusting shut.
Also curious if anyone has any input on burners that have holes instead of slits..... I see a couple of brands like that --- better or worse than factory slits?

On the topic of crossover tubes.....
Does anyone have any comments/input on replacement burners having crossover tubes with round holes instead of slits like the originals?
My Spirit I (front knobs) cross over tube is getting close to end of life --- I've cleaned it well many times - I have a nice little screwdriver that fits the slots perfectly to clean them - painstakingly long to do, but effective - but now the slots are starting to bust out. I see most of the replacement burner sets come with crossovers with round holes --- I've never used or seen one in action.... wondering if they throw more/less heat than the stock slotted ones. I'm assuming that the holes are much less prone to getting gunked up or rusting shut.
Also curious if anyone has any input on burners that have holes instead of slits..... I see a couple of brands like that --- better or worse than factory slits?
I am not a fan of the aftermarket burners. No issues with the holes. I find the fit to be lacking especially on grills that use a crossover tube. They cheat on the measurements and tend to be on the low side of the spec. Front control Spirits have a long crossover tube that has to work right to carry the flame to the other burners, no margin in the design which doesn’t help.

I had slow or no flame crossover and crossover tubes that slide back and forth falling out of the connecting holes on the front control Spirits.

No issues with the aftermarket main burner tubes.

No issues with Weber original replacements on any of the grills I worked on.

So I had someone come and install the replacement burner tubes from Weber. They did it without disassembling the grill as Weber instructed. Doesn’t look that bad.

So now I’m thinking, how do we avoid this? How do we keep it clean? How often do we clean it? The repair guy said that all the marinades we use might cause some problems due to build up.

Any suggestions?

Regular cleanings and do some high heat burn offs every so often. Change out the grease pans often.

I would say every ten cooks or if they have more than 1/4" of grease in them. Whichever comes first.

Back