Anyone mod a flameboss 400 to get rid of the dog bowl

G_Weber

TVWBB Member
So its a problem that probably only exists in my head (in my head, in my head) but I can't help but notice this thing was built to use with the Kamado style ceramic ovens and the adapter for the WSM is a dog bowl with a square knocked out of it. It works but dang it looks like an afterthought.
I think I am about to rig a spring style clip to fix the blower right to the daisywheel. Anyone else ditch the dog bowl??

Dog bowls were also used in the Rocks BBQ Stoker WSM adapters. Most certainly not an afterthought....

When you can get a small stainless dog bowl for $2 at the dollar store , and it fits and works perfectly, and doesn't damage your WSM porcelain, why would you use anything else?

Because it looks like a dog bowl stuck to the side of a five hundred dollar smoker...
Well... When I bought my Rocks BBQ Stoker, it costs me over $500, and it included the dog bowl. **
Professional BBQ teams that cook on WSMs using a Stoker don't seem to mind.....

** going over the records, total for the stoker was $ 627.66

Last edited:
Well... When I bought my Rocks BBQ Stoker, it costs me over $500, and it included the dog bowl. **
Professional BBQ teams that cook on WSMs using a Stoker don't seem to mind.....

** going over the records, total for the stoker was $ 627.66
If I paid 627.66 for a stoker I would expect a little more than a dog bowl as an attachment. But I guess that's just me :)

It is cosmetic but for a lot of people that is a deal breaker. I love my flameboss and the app but the dog bowl is (imo) a lame/cheapo solution to adapt a blower made to fit into a square hole adapter to a WSM. I understand why as I am sure there are far more of these sold to Kamado users than to those of us that own a WSM. I personally would have passed over the FB400 for the competitor if it had been available at the time I was shopping for a blower. So if anyone who already owns one of these and wants to ditch the dog bowl a #8 x 1.25" machine screw and a canabalized spring clamp will get the job done. I also added felt gasket that is used to seal the door to make a gasket. I am aware the other vent holes will need to be sealed ;)
I also apologize to anyone who I might have offended with this thread by suggesting the dog bowl looks like an unsightly afterthought to an otherwise perfectly fine product

IMG_1135.jpeg

Everything worked really well. This was the first overnighter on my new 22 and I let it burn out after the cook to see how long it would go. It went a good 20 hours on Kingsford blue bag at 225. Towards the end the temps went up and down a bit but nothing too drastic. The only time ash was kicked up is when I stirred up the charcoal while the fan was blowing.
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 5.15.44 AM.png

Back