Anyone make their own Chili powder?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Chili time around here, and I've got a stock of Ancho and Guajillo chile powders. I know I can make my own chili powder, but curious if anyone here has a tried/true recipe that they have made. In general, looks like some combination of chile powders, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder are staples of most recipes. Some also have oregano, paprika and/or other things. Anyone want to share their super awesome, top secret chili powder recipe?? :)

Rich

Only relatively recently. The shop where I'd been getting the blend I like has let me know that my business is not appreciated (not personally, in the aggregate sense.) Carrol Shelby's is also awfully good. Having said that.... I've started making Alton Brown's and thus far, I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Only relatively recently. The shop where I'd been getting the blend I like has let me know that my business is not appreciated (not personally, in the aggregate sense.) Carrol Shelby's is also awfully good. Having said that.... I've started making Alton Brown's and thus far, I'm actually pretty happy with it.
I found AB's recipe when I was searching around.....Since I already have chile powder, I'm looking for ratios of chile powder to the other ingredients. He starts with whole chiles and whole cumin seeds, so a bit tough to translate to finished quantities..... Any thoughts on that?

I'm sure I can figure something out, but figured I'd see if anyone has a recipe I can just steal from them! :)

Thanks for the reply!

R

Off the top of my head.... no. I did just sort of wing it, although I did stop at a good super mercado in St. Paul to get the whole dried peppers.

I thought Kevin Kruger posted one ( but I couldn't find it )
Found one from Kevin Taylor.
https://tvwbb.com/threads/good-chili-recipes.15829/#post-182471
Thanks, Tim! That looks like a good chili recipe, though I was hoping to find something for mixing up a traditional "chili powder". I think I can use the ratios in Kevin's recipe to figure something out as a starter.

I've got my own go to Chili Recipe that I've tweaked over the years. I suppose I could use my own recipe for some ratios, too. Looks like I'll do some experimenting. If I come up with a winner, I'll post it up in the recipe section.

Thanks!

R

ICS Competition Red Chili

3 teaspoons Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Red chile pepper, fine grind
2 tablespoons Ancho chile, fine grind
2 tablespoons New Mexico chile, fine grind
1 tablespoon Black pepper, Telicherry, fine grind
3 teaspoons Chile de Arbol, fine grind
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper(160,000 SVU)

Ok, I noticed this and thought that's what you were looking for.;)

Thanks, Timothy, I missed that in your previous post/link. Either way, yes, this is the kind of thing I was looking for.....it'll make a good starting point for coming up with my own blend (I'm a fan of Penzey's chili powders, but not so much of their prices....) :) It's also good to be able to mix up on demand in the quantities you need, avoiding the half used bottle in the cabinet that lacks the punch it once had when you use it again months later. :)

R

Rich, this is a pretty basic one with the ingredients you mentioned. Hope this helps. Makes 3/4 cup

Chili Powder/Seasoning

1/4 cup ground ancho chlle
2 TB. ground cumin
2 TB. paprika
1 TB. garlic powder
1 TB. salt
1 TB. ground coriander
2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. ground oregano

Source: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces - pub. 1998

Rich, this is a pretty basic one with the ingredients you mentioned. Hope this helps. Makes 3/4 cup

Chili Powder/Seasoning

1/4 cup ground ancho chlle
2 TB. ground cumin
2 TB. paprika
1 TB. garlic powder
1 TB. salt
1 TB. ground coriander
2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. ground oregano

Source: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces - pub. 1998
Thanks, Joan! I knew Paul's book would have one, but I lost my copy a few years back and never replaced it (since I rarely make my own rubs anymore.....) :)

R

Thanks Rich, anytime you need anything from it, just ask, ok?

I also have a binder full of recipes calling for "chili powder" if you ever need any ideas what to do with it. lol

Back