Anyone make a bacon masher?

Lodge makes them round. I think the largest is almost 9" dia.

If you make one, 1/4" steel plate or even 3/16" should be plenty of weight.

I dunno, I kinda like my bacon curly, with a little variation between the crispy bits and the juicy bits. Curls hold a little more grease, too. :) If there's a spot that's sticking up and needs more browning, I just use the tongs or whatever to push it down for a few seconds. If one end of a strip is done and the other has a ways to go, I just flip the done end on top of the other.

I have a rectangular Lodge, probably use it more for other applications, such as grilled cheese, quesadillas, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 7
Roast your bacon on cooling rack set on a sheet pan. Flat, no splatters on your range top, no grease fires in your grill.
I bake it in the elec oven at 425 on parchment paper. I pour off the fat into a jar. No mess no fire works great, but it may curl.

I'm in the cook it in the oven (rack, foil, parchment.....used them all, they all work!) The key thing is to strain the fat through some paper towels and save for further use (potatoes, tortillas, pie crust, eggs, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.) :)

I do have a lodge bacon press (pic above in previous post) that my kids got me......don't really use it.....unless I need to smash some burgers.

Looking good so far, Ian!

R

I'm in the cook it in the oven (rack, foil, parchment.....used them all, they all work!) The key thing is to strain the fat through some paper towels ......
I don't bother with straining the grease and it works for me.

Back