Anyone know, or think, there will be a Smokefire ver2?

Jed_R

Just curious if anyone has any inside knowledge. Lowe's and Ace Hardware in my area can't move Smokefire pellet grills at this time. They have them in stock and on the floor and in the warehouse, but they can't move them. The EX6 is priced at $999, not sure what the EX4 is marked down to, but they can't sell them. Ace Hardware hasn't sold a Smokefire grill since March and they took back a couple they sold. The sales associates at both stores said Weber's going to have to take these back, they've been sitting in our warehouse since Feburary. What do you guys think? Will we get a version 2?

I was surprised neither store carried the parts to fix the problems. You buy one, you have to call Weber's customer service and have the parts shipped to you. Seems like if Weber was serious, they'd have the warrantied parts already at the stores selling with the pellet grills.

I'm on a Facebook SF owners group and every day new owners talk about their satisfaction with their grill. People in the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and other countries are steadily buying the Smokefire. I seriously doubt that Weber will have a rev. 2 for years as they are already shipping their stock with their improved hardware. What they will do is make monthly improvements and if an owner has a failure Weber will send the the part they need free of charge. It's the Weber way.

I bought mine last month online from Lowes. It was built on January 18, 2020 so it's part of the initial build and has no upgraded mechanical parts. I haven't asked Weber for them because I haven't had any mechanical problems and very minor software glitches after a month of wringing it out. Because I waited until July and had followed all the trials and tribulations of the early adopters I knew that it wasn't a finished product but still had leading edge possibilities. I'm delighted with where it is and believe that Weber will eventually get it right. About once a month Weber releases an upgrade to their software and many problems disappeared. Owners learned how to operate it so they didn't induce the bad results that early owners splashed all over Youtube. If we look back to pre-Covid time the Smokefire was seriously over hyped. In return disgruntled owners responded by slamming them and then piling on.

I'm on a Facebook SF owners group and every day new owners talk about their satisfaction with their grill. People in the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and other countries are steadily buying the Smokefire. I seriously doubt that Weber will have a rev. 2 for years as they are already shipping their stock with their improved hardware. What they will do is make monthly improvements and if an owner has a failure Weber will send the the part they need free of charge. It's the Weber way.

I bought mine last month online from Lowes. It was built on January 18, 2020 so it's part of the initial build and has no upgraded mechanical parts. I haven't asked Weber for them because I haven't had any mechanical problems and very minor software glitches after a month of wringing it out. Because I waited until July and had followed all the trials and tribulations of the early adopters I knew that it wasn't a finished product but still had leading edge possibilities. I'm delighted with where it is and believe that Weber will eventually get it right. About once a month Weber releases an upgrade to their software and many problems disappeared. Owners learned how to operate it so they didn't induce the bad results that early owners splashed all over Youtube. If we look back to pre-Covid time the Smokefire was seriously over hyped. In return disgruntled owners responded by slamming them and then piling on.
Well said Lew.

Bruno, I want you, Dave, and the others that worked through the initial problems to know how much you helped me prepare for ownership. Although my EX6 was built in January the software updated on my first try so my path to learning the SF is so much easier than what you guys went through. I'm getting old and my body is pretty beat up. Assembling an 18.5 WSM or putting the ash catcher back in my Performer hurts a lot with a spinal compression fracture. Because of you I could commit to the EX6 where I can do almost everything upright and I think it will extend my BBQ life for years.

Appreciated sir, I almost got caught up in the baby back maniac SmokeFire melt down but had good results and the updates kept getting better. I’m happy I stuck it out and thanks to guys like Dave I I was able to make my decision.

Appreciated sir, I almost got caught up in the baby back maniac SmokeFire melt down but had good results and the updates kept getting better. I’m happy I stuck it out and thanks to guys like Dave I I was able to make my decision.
Yeah, I remember your agony and then you had 2 good cooks and decided it was a keeper. I think Dave dragged a lot of us into the Smokefire corner.

I'm sure it's the stigma it picked up from initial launch. Imagine some one who's not in the know doing a Google search or YouTube video search.

I'm sure it's the stigma it picked up from initial launch. Imagine some one who's not in the know doing a Google search or YouTube video search.
Spot on. A lot of folks get on the Facebook owners group and they preface their request for opinions with statements about Google and YouTube. New owners are also affected by problems they know have cropped up. They're gun shy because of what happened 4 months ago and it was dramatic on YouTube. Reacting to a glitch with an immediate shutdown or some other quick action is often not the best approach. Taking a few moments to analyze what's happening can help understanding what the problem really is. I tend to ride with problems a few minutes to see how the SF brain will respond. You can look at smoke being generated, listen for the auger motor and the fan, and figure out how it's responding.

Eventually the smokefire will get the recognition it deserves. The 5 cooks I've done the smokefire has done everything I've asked.

Learning to trust the SF was a big step!
YUP!! Because of you early adopters I knew it could perform so my approach was I'm all in on my EX6. I trusted it from day one and now I'm starting to understand it. Sometimes it thinks like my 18 year old Graandson and then I really get concerned. 😁

We purchased the. Ex 6 about 3 weeks ago and it has performed pretty much flawless. We have done 4 pork shoulders, 4 Briskets and a couple pork belly’s and some odds and ends. The one thing that did happen was last night during our all night burn with a whole Brisket the heat probe quit working.
Has anyone had that happen?

Bruno, I want you, Dave, and the others that worked through the initial problems to know how much you helped me prepare for ownership. Although my EX6 was built in January the software updated on my first try so my path to learning the SF is so much easier than what you guys went through. I'm getting old and my body is pretty beat up. Assembling an 18.5 WSM or putting the ash catcher back in my Performer hurts a lot with a spinal compression fracture. Because of you I could commit to the EX6 where I can do almost everything upright and I think it will extend my BBQ life for years.
Agreed, Lew. I was pretty much down to Rec-Tec or Traeger after reading how poorly the SF did upon it's release. Then I found this place and my opinion and attitude towards the SF changed, with reading Dave and Bruno's posts for the most part and with the $200 off, I was all in... This is my first smoker, but I've been loving what it does, even giving off a bit of a smoke flavor to corn on the cob and bacon wrapped asparagus. Doing my first pork shoulder this weekend, can't wait.

My wife pre-ordered the EX-6 from Weber and surprised me with it as a wedding anniversary gift. She told me if I didn't learn to love it and use it that I would be inside it when it went back to Weber. I want to thank you guys for saving my life and my marriage !!
Keeper right there!!!

The meat temp probe. We have 4 and sometimes they quit reading correct. We go wiggle them where they plug in and they start working. Since my 1st post we have done 20lbs of bacon, burnt ends and bacon tips as well as another brisket. About the only problem we have had was a couple of flame-outs. I cleaned the flame pot real good and it’s performing great. One thing we have been doing is keeping it pretty clean and we lined the bottom with tin foil for easy clean up. Works great. Today we are making another brisket and have a water pan under it. Next up is Canadian bacon and pastrami. Oh we did a prime rib as well. Perfect.

Attachments

• DC879C66-72F1-4EFF-96D2-A81343EC9F87.jpeg
    DC879C66-72F1-4EFF-96D2-A81343EC9F87.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 17
  • B7E28B5C-9A77-40B4-9310-9358E965C47C.jpeg
    B7E28B5C-9A77-40B4-9310-9358E965C47C.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 17
The meat temp probe. We have 4 and sometimes they quit reading correct. We go wiggle them where they plug in and they start working. Since my 1st post we have done 20lbs of bacon, burnt ends and bacon tips as well as another brisket. About the only problem we have had was a couple of flame-outs. I cleaned the flame pot real good and it’s performing great. One thing we have been doing is keeping it pretty clean and we lined the bottom with tin foil for easy clean up. Works great. Today we are making another brisket and have a water pan under it. Next up is Canadian bacon and pastrami. Oh we did a prime rib as well. Perfect.
Very nice!! I might try the foil!

Back