Anyone know, or think, there will be a Smokefire ver2?

It really doesn’t but we always stay on top of clean up just to keep it easy. Plus the foil catches most of the grease instead of the grill. Less grease fire worries.

It is a good grill, it is becoming my daily driver. I have many grills, 5 of them on my patio. Nothing gets to temp faster, and has the least amount of hassle. Plus it can do everything that any other grill does on my patio from low and slow to sear. It is truly versatile, and a great cooker that makes fantastic food. Only problem I had so far is a blown fuse, being an electrical engineer I have plenty of fuses around the lab.

Only problem I had so far is a blown fuse, being an electrical engineer I have plenty of fuses around the lab.

Andrew, curious to what were you doing when the fuse blew?

Foil at the bottom reduces the amount of time your head and back are bent over to clean - QOL.

Last edited:
I have not been following the SF issues but can someone summarize the changes Weber made? I think there were some firmware updates and a new auger design? Anything else?

I have not been following the SF issues but can someone summarize the changes Weber made? I think there were some firmware updates and a new auger design? Anything else?

Firmware ver. 4042 (Current 09/21/20)
Hopper Slide
Pellet Chute
Auger Motor - REV F seems to be the latest
Auger

There has been some going back and forth on the auger motor revision with some saying REV D and REF F are the same just a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
I just turned on the switch I checked for shorts, I didn't find any checked the wiring. I don't have any answers, just replaced the fuse, and it's still going strong. I do not foil the bottom due to the high temperatures that the grill experiences.

I just turned on the switch I checked for shorts, I didn't find any checked the wiring. I don't have any answers, just replaced the fuse, and it's still going strong. I do not foil the bottom due to the high temperatures that the grill experiences.

Thanks for the blown fuse update, perhaps it was just a weak fuse.

I like foil the bottom of the pit as it is so easy to clean and replace. Additionally, foil the ashtray as there was some grease build up outside of the foil pan.

Last edited:
I to like foil the bottom of the pit as it is so easy to clean and replace. Additionally, foil the ashtray as there was some grease build up outside of the foil pan.
If you go back and look at the original videos produced on the SF, Weber apparently tested all kinds of setups, including foil in the bottom, on the favor bars, etc. Their conclusion was that foil anywhere inside the unit adversely affected the temp control. Just saying. I do not use anything and clean up is three minutes at most.

If you go back and look at the original videos produced on the SF, Weber apparently tested all kinds of setups, including foil in the bottom, on the favor bars, etc. Their conclusion was that foil anywhere inside the unit adversely affected the temp control. Just saying. I do not use anything and clean up is three minutes at most.

Thanks! Where are these videos and their statement on foil? I question the 3 minute clean up unless you clean out the bottom after each cook. I would never use foil on the flavor bars as I want as much steam coming from them as possible. Just foil at the bottom of the grill around the grease drain holes.

Last edited:
Apparently, I missed their videos discussing foil. I'm interested in seeing those. Ahhhh, to be younger. It takes me 3 minutes to take the innards out and put them back in. Cleanup isn't any more oppressive than my Camp Chef but it takes 20 to 30 minutes.

Ok --- I think I found the video concerning the foil in the bottom of the cooker.

Yes, you did. If I remember correctly, other early adaptors (influencers, maybe Slap Yo' Daddy) also discussed it after their trip to Chicago. Also, I really do not get too excited about the inside of my SF as long as the ash is not built up and grease saturated. I push it down the hole and fire it back up.

What is Weber going to do for a revision 2? Yes, they have made some changes in the hardware, but my gut feeling is that the software was more of an issue than the hardware. I don't know when mine was built but I have only had minor problems with the grill so far, and I have at least 60+ hours on it. I think the design is not the major issue, it's more software than anything. If I had anything I would like changed is the pellet hopper maybe make it steeper so it feeds better, but that is about the only hardware thing I would change with this grill. It is a grill and not a smoker so for long-duration cooks I expect to move some pellets around to keep the hopper feeding. That is my only real complaint with this grill.

Back