Anyone here use Lump?

Jon MI

TVWBB Super Fan
Who here uses lump? How long of a burn do you get off a full grate? How much does the temp very if any. I know by nature lump does not burn as even as briquets, but something I've been think about trying.

I use it exclusively, Jon. It's not that I have anything against briquettes; it's just that it's the only kind of charcoal available here in Spain.

I find that it works fine. I've done plenty of all-nighters with outstanding results. I've never timed it, but I've read on this site that it does burn hotter and more quickly than briquettes.

Regards,

Jim L.

Jon,

I like lump a bit more than charcoal. It has less ash per cook than charcoal. I pretty much use the same amount I would use as with charcoal.

I usually buy both lump and charcoal. Use lump till its gone then charcoal, then repeat. Taste wise, I haven't noticed a difference.

Only difference to me is ash. On long cooks I don't have to knock off the ash on the charcoal to bring temps up.

Joe

I use Royal Oak Lump all the time. I don't use briquettes enough to say how they are different, but I follow the same directions as everyone describes on this site, and I don't think there's a significant difference. One "trick" I did learn on this site is to fill the ring tightly with the lump. Don't pack it, but situate the lumps so there is minimal air space.

I love Humphries Lump. Try to use it all the time. I can tell a difference between lump and Kingsford easy. I don't mind the taste of Kingsford, but lump doesn't over power the meat/smoke wood flavor like Kingsford does.
Does it burn hotter? Only if You let it. Kingsford will hold temps more stable IMO.
I don't get as long as a burn time with lump, but I still can get 14 hours with it easy.
Biggest difference? Cost. Hump Lump is a lot more expensive, but worth it to me, not to others.
If I could get the Duraflame charcoal for a good price around here, I would use that over Kingsford anytime!

Bob,
I checked out the Duraflame website.
Do you like Duraflame because it has less "other" stuff than Kingsford?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
There has ever been crime-scene tape on your front door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Bob,
I checked out the Duraflame website.
Do you like Duraflame because it has less "other" stuff than Kingsford?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
There has ever been crime-scene tape on your front door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, the "other stuff" is not part of it. I like it for the flavor, and a lot less ash build-up. It was good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti kingsford. I still use it on the kettle most times, and have no issues using it in the WSM, but prefer Hump Lump.

I use Wicked Good - expensive but worth it. I can easily get a 24 hour burn time with it. I also use the Guru and am sure that helps with the time. I do not get an ash build up.

As Bob T. stated - it only burns hotter if you let it. I have also found that it burns pretty steady, but it has been awhile since I used it without the Guru.

As far as flavor, Wicked Good does not leave much. However, every lump is different - check out the Naked Whiz site if you have not already.

Always.
icon_biggrin.gif

Jon,

I use lump about 80% of the time. Living in Michigan, find a Gordon Food Service store, they sell Royal Oak Lump for right around $8 for 20lb bag, and they carry it year round.

I use a blend of both charcoal and briquets. About 80:20. I fill in the voids in the charcoal with the briquets and that seems to give a more even burn.

I like both "wicked Good" and "Nature's Own"

Al

Back