Anyone Heard of Penzey's Spices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
It's tough to get fresh spices locally. There is one place here in Rochester that sells only spices and baking & confectionary flavors, etc., but they seem to just repackage from bulk. I ordered the Penzey's catalog, which arrived last Friday, and it's chock full of all sorts of stuff.

Seeing that they have four or five variations of everything - you can get Cinnimon from China, Vietnam, and other places - is there really that much variation in flavor when comparing the same spice?

Has anyone used Penzey's as a source for their BBQ spices used in rubs, mops, and marinades? Are their offerings worth the effort and cost?

Just wondering...

Peace. Out.

Alan Bosch

PS - Been too cold and blustery here in the nether reachs of NYS to do any Q'in'. Though I did have some lame ribs from Dinosaur BBQ a week ago, I much prefer mine done on my WSM /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I've used Penzey's for granulated garlic, granulated onion, mustard seed, etc. plus some of the prepared rubs like BBQ of the Americas and Northwoods seasoning. Quality is always very good and seems to be much fresher and more fragrant than store bought. Prices aren't too bad if you buy in bulk, but you've got to take shipping into account. I sometimes go in with friends and place an order to split the shipping.

Regards,
Chris

I have been recieving the Penzey's catalog for a few years now, but have never ordered form them. Great catalog. Very informative reading, if nothing else.

I did however recently place and order at Penderey's spices in Dallas. they have an amazing selection of chile powders there. It's mind boggling how many they have. Their catalog, too, is quite informative. www.penderys.com

If you're unsure of ordering from a catalog (which I was for years) there may be places in your area to check out. I've had great luck at Indian grocery stoes, where the selection is good and the spices are usually inexpensive. Also try organic grocery stores or "co-ops" as they're called. They also have bulk spices.

My first Pendery's shipment of various chile powders arrives this week. Looking forward to it!

Good luck,

Henry Joe Peterson
San Francisco

Hey Alan,

I recieved a Penzey's Spices gift box for Christmas. It was the Some Like It Hotter package with: HOT Cajun Seasoning, HOT Curry Powder, HOT Chili Powder, Northwoods Fire Seasoning, Vindaloo Seasoning, Ground Chipotle Pepper, Crushed Pakistani Red Peppers (Very HOT) and Galena Street Rib Rub. So far they have all been great, I used the Galena Street Rub on baby back ribs and just Sunday I brined a chicken and used it on that and it was great. I've been experimenting with some of the other ones during my normal cooking and haven't found a bad one yet. I'd recommend giving them a try, they even use bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg as packaging material instead of styrofoam peanuts. Well talk with ya later.

Matt

P.S. It's never too cold to Q', although I think all the neighbors think I'm a bit nuts. And your right Dino's ribs don't compare to home made...

I have been buying all my spices from Penzey's for the past three or four years. I keep somewhere between 60 and 80 spices on hand, so I have sampled a fairly broad range of their products.

I would recommend them 100%. Their quality is excellent -- far better than grocery store spices. Their pricing is not the cheapest around, but it is consistently cheaper than grocery stores. Shipping and customer service has been flawless. Their selection is outstanding. There are very few spices that they don't have and some that I have never seen anywhere else.

I buy everything in their bulk bags which I keep in the freezer and/or fridge. From the bulk bags, I fill about 80 labeled spice jars.

For the most part, I buy whole spices (like whole black peppercorns, whole mustard seed, etc.) and then grind in a coffee grinder to fill bottles.

I keep a running spreadsheet of spices with the last date and quantity of each I ordered. That lets me track how much I use. I tend to place one order every 12 months.

After trying Penzey's, you'll never go back to grocery store spices, except in an emergency. You will probably need to adjust your quantities a bit because their spices are much fresher and much more potent than grocery store stuff. For example, most recipes are written with dried out weak cayenne pepper from the grocery store in mind. If you use the full amount of the much more potent Penzeys version, it'll knock your socks off.

Webb
Nice to see you back.
I have to agree buying wholesale from a supplier than does a good volume means the freshness is what we are looking for and storing in the freezer is a must.
Jim

I just ordered a catalogue from them.... I can't wait! I prefer whole spices too, which I grind in a coffee grinder.

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Webb
Nice to see you back.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't gone anywhere...just not much bbq'ing here in New England since Christmas or so. We've had snow and freezing rain ice storms making for treacherous footing to the Weber. I've done a couple of quickie grill things, but nothing that requires much tending!

It was sunny and clear today, so I smoked a couple of pork butts my lovely wife brought home from Sam's Club.

Jim Minion --

Since you are right up there by Seattle, have you tried buying spices from World Merchants on Western Ave? I am curious what you opinion would be. I have tried a couple of things and was pleased with their service.

Something I have never come across before is their payment policy. They'll ship what you want and wait patiently for you to send them a check!! In this day and age, this is unheard of!

Travis
I have not tried them, I'll have to look them up,
Thanks for the heads up. The only other place that send you goods before they ask for the check is David Sprigg with New Books Cheap.
I buy most of my spices out of Oregon Spice and do $50 orders, taking advantage of their wholesale pricing. They have been very good quality and are willing to work with you on custom orders (not many of us need 200 pounds of rub at once).
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and storing in the freezer is a must. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,

I used to freeze my spices until I read somewhere that the refrigerator is a better place to store them. Have you tried both ways? Apparently the jury is still out on this one: "There is a controversy about freezing spices. Ann Willan of La Varenne cooking school in France says she keeps her herbs and spices in the freezer but Julie Sauni, the noted Indian cook book writer, says freezing takes the edge off of the flavor. I have no personal knowledge about freezing. If you have experience with freezing spices I would like to hear from you about how this effects flavor."

URL=http://www.barbecuen.com/storingspices.htm]The World of Spices[/URL]

Mr S.

I place the spices in jars and vacume pack them.
Place them in the freezer, I have not tried the refrig but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a test and see what works best. My biggest problem with four refrig and one large freezer, I still run out of refrig space, go figure.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Squeaky:
[qb] If you have experience with freezing spices I would like to hear from you about how this effects flavor." [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I kept my bulk spices in the freezer for several years. It worked perfectly. The spices stayed extremely fresh. I think it's the best way to store them.

Alas, I ran out of freezer room (too many spices) and ended up moving them to the refrigerator last year -- using up a whole crisper drawer. They keep will in the fridge, too.

I think either will work fine, just depends where you have the room.

I just keep small jars out at room temperature and refill as needed from bulk bags.

Alan,
Noticing you are from NY, you may also take a look at Joe Ames, from the Ingredient Store. I have purchased a few times from him, and his service is superior also, along with Penzey's.
He has a few new items he is offering, along with his normal array of spices. He might have some unique items you are looking for and could save some on shipping, with his location being in PA.
Here is the site if your interested. Joe Ames

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back