anyone have a sugar free rib rub recipe?

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
my dr has suggested i lead a low carb lifestyle with most of my carbs coming from fresh veggies. i have been following the new atkins plan for a month now and i can really tell a difference and am losing weight at a decent pace but i want ribs this weekend!! i could try to use splenda in my rib rub but am wondering if anyone has a good sugarless rub.

Its not really a rub but some spices I put together real quick. Love it on chicken.

Lawry's seasoning salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, thyme and sometimes a little chipotle or cayenne pepper.

thanks,i decided to go with Kevin K's rib rub with splenda granular instead of white sugar. i had all the ingredients except green peppercorns so i just made up a batch without. i would still be interested in any other opinions and rubs!!

You don't really need sugar in a pork rub. Try a pinch (1/4 tsp or so) of cinammon. You won't taste it, but it should add a warm sweetish note to the rub. Congrats on the new health regime.

I have been living the South Beach Diet lifestyle now for over 2 years. I have lost over 50 pounds and have kept it off.

I always substitute Splenda for sugar. I don't miss sugar at all. Whenever rubs or what not call for sugar, just sub with splenda. You'll be fine.

I have type 2 diabetes and have been on the low carb lifestyle for a few years. A few things to try are stevia and erythritol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael N:
Did you try texas sugarless sprinkle from the ribs section of the cooking topics? It's very good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, i tried it a few years ago and thought it was a little too much heat for me. i might try it next time and cut back on the cayenne.

BTW, i'm doing the ribs tomorrow but have the trimmings on the kettle at 235 with some pecan wood. i seasoned them heavy with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and will use them in a pot of green beans tomorrow and a big pot of collard greens monday.

make the rub as usual but skip the sugar & substitutes altogether, they're not needed or missed, at least by me.

Well, I'm from Europe. When I look at american recipes, I'm stunned by the amount of sugar you put in your food. The idea of putting sugar on bacon or any piece of pork was something I would not have dreamed of doing. Now I have tried, and the taste is not bad, but a bit strange..
icon_smile.gif

I think you could remove the carbs from almost any recipe, and still get something that tastes nice. Of course, sweet and sour is not the same without "sweet", but many rubs and marinades works quite well without the sugars that you use.

Try some Italian recipes, lots of taste in them, and no sugar. Just a bit different.

Make your own pancetta, as a suggestion. Wonderful!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
Well, I'm from Europe. When I look at american recipes, I'm stunned by the amount of sugar you put in your food.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's why we are so fit and full of vim and vigor.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm a diabetic and here is my refined rub over a few attempts. I love it on pulled pork and Ribs. You won't get a super bark without brown sugar but sometimes I glaze ribs, for example, with a low carb BBQ sauce.

Do some googling on Xylitol and Erithritol vs Splenda. You can boil Erithritol (BBQ sauce) and it won't break down like splenda. These are various fake sugars.

I use about 1/2 the normal salt content but you can also go no salt in the rub and salt your meat before the rub, or not, depending on your guest list or preference.

Esch's Low Carb #2

1/2 Cup Kosher salt (fine or grind in spice mill)
1C Xylitol (e.g. "Ideal")
1/3 C Paprika
3T Garlic Powder
1T Cumin - ground
2T Chili Powder (Prefer New Mexico Red Med Hot)
1tsp Black Pepper
2tsp White Pepper
1tsp Coriander
1tsp nutmeg
1tsp Cayenne pepper.

Also checkout Low Carb Barbeque by Dana Carpender-it is full of good recipes and tips.

Sugar Free Ribs- Nice Mahogany Color

Sugar Free Pie - using erithrytol and pear/rasberry

I'm cooking three slabs of Baby Back ribs with no sugar right now. Every time I cook them, I get rave reviews, and frequently get comments like "Wow, I always think BBQ is too sweet. I love this smoky, savory flavor."

Here's what I do:
1) Rub a little bit of brown mustard all over the ribs, front and back. Not too thick, just enough to know it's there.

2) Sprinkle with McCormick "Montreal Chicken" seasoning. I buy this in a large shaker from Costco. A nice coating.

3) Sprinkle on top of that with Goya "Adobo" with pepper. A nice even coat.

That's it. About 4 hours at 250. I usually put sauce on the table, but most people decide they prefer the ribs "dry."

Jeff

Back