Anyone get spoiled by their own food?

I agree with the other posts. We get spoiled when we fix such good eats at home and most restaurants do not compare. I cook a lot of dishes other than BBQ and smoking and grilling, and my stuff is always better than most restaurants.

Last night's portabello mushroom with salsa , mozzarella, and parmesan cheese was to die for (broiled in my oven). Everything was fresh and delicious.

Ray

There is a bbq chain restaurant that went up recently, but I havent even entertained the thought of trying it yet. Maybe I should just so I can flex my q snob muscle a little. The last mom and pop bbq joint I visited was underwhelming.

I understand that most q joints are pretty "low rent" and kind of understand why. I've often thought how I'd like to be able to sell my bbq, but I always arrive at the same conclusion, people wont want to pay me what its WORTH. As soon as you start cutting corners to make a profit (see also break even) the quality is lost. Start using gas to make things easier, buying spices and meat in bulk, and all of a sudden your just like every other mediocre joint around.

Is it possible to stick to charcoal, fresh spices, choice meats and turn out home-smoked meals for the masses? Maybe someday I'll try, but for now the family and friends will have to do
icon_smile.gif

OK... I'm ready to tell the truth...

YES I HAVE SPOILED NOT ONLY MYSELF, BUT, MY ENTIRE FAMILY!!!

There I said it.

I feel so cheap...

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I went to a NASCAR Race in Martinsville Va. last year and went to a BBQ restaurant. Two bites into it my wife said what I was thinking, " They got nothin' on you honey." So yeah I'm spoiled by my own BBQ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
I think your WSM is broken!
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My BBQ is good, but the stuff around the corner from the little BBQ catering shop that also opens their doors for lunch is really darn good as well. Growing up, I remember going to breakfast at the local BBQ joint at 5 in the morning and seeing the guys out back who had been out there all night smoking the BBQ for the day. You could smell the hickory and see the smoke well before you ever got there.

I really do think it depends on where you live and what sort of restaurants you have. For that matter, it also depends on what you consider BBQ. While I make chicken, ribs, brisket, etc on my WSM and other smokers in the past, I still operate from a NC centric attitude...BBQ, to me, is chopped/pulled pork.

When it comes to ribs, I've definitely made much better ribs than anything I've had in a restaurant. Chicken as well. Brisket...I've had some REALLY good brisket in a restaurant that seats about 10 somewhere near Dallas, but brisket is what I have the least experience with on my own.

Yeah I agree with the poster that said that by the time you start buying and preparing for the masses and still try to make a profit, you've had to cut so many corners that it's just not as good.

I got some ribs from Sonny's yesterday and while they weren't bad and definitely edible, it still doesn't compare to what I make at home. Theirs was kinda dry and tough. But, when were they actually made? Was it made on gas and over cooked? Possibly.

It seems that unless you're going to charge a bit (and probably go out of business) the best way to do bbq for a bunch of people is to get into some kind of catering type situation. Or maybe just open for lunch or something like that. But, when you're having to feed hundreds of people every day and night and still trying to keep it cheap enough so that they still come, it's going to be hard to do it right. It's true that people equate bbq with cheap food and if you try to charge what it's really worth you'll end up losing them to the cheap Mexican place next door.

There are restaurants around here that sell BBQ cooked in electric crock pots! And they sell it on the side in grocery stores. I guess they figure the sauce will hide the lack a BBQ flavor in the meat. And this is supposed to be BBQ Country. Mine is better than most.

Does anybody live in the Shreveport, LA area? I used to go to the Louisiana Hayride (where Elvis got his start) about 20 years ago. They had good BBQ especially the sauce.

In my neck of the woods, yeah mines better. Haven't been to a chain around these parts where I thought it was great. But I'd rather go to a chain BBQ joint than say a fast food burger chain
icon_smile.gif

Other parts of the country I've been too not quite so true. I've been to some small and large places in Texas and NC that had great Q and the sides were good too.

But around here not too much to speak of. In the areas of the country where there all a lot of small operators working out of small shack or stalls I think you can still find really good Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess they figure the sauce will hide the lack a BBQ flavor in the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe this points out also that the average joe may not know what real bbq is. Maybe many think that it's name comes from the use of bbq sauce and that if you put bbq sauce on anything it's now bbq. When actually, if it's real bbq done right you could eat it without any sauce and it would still be great.

My Q, grilling, and pizza are better than we can get in any restaurant and my regular old coking is better than we get in most restaurants. My wife told me not to start making Mexican food or else we won’t be going out to dinner at all.

My son-in-law was talking about the Q store close to his home and how he has pulled pork several times a week there, until he had mine. Now he won’t go there for lunch. I sent five pounds home with him Sunday with two sauces, one tomato based and one mustard/vinegar based. I’m going to give him my 18” when my 22” gets here.

I went to the Salt Lick in the outskirts of Austin TX A few years ago. It is supposed to be great and for a restaurant it is but it still doesn't compare to home Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
My wife told me not to start making Mexican food or else we won’t be going out to dinner at all.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is FUNNY...and so true. Few if any commercial joint will spend the time and TLC that I and others here are willing to do to produce the Q. I have not had ribs out in years...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When actually, if it's real bbq done right you could eat it without any sauce and it would still be great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, after the last BRITU session my wife and I both commented about how little sauce we both used. The ribs with the rub were actually really good by themselves.

I figure one or two more sessions and I'll have the ribs down pretty good. Well, maybe three of four. Actually, come to think of it, it might take at least a half dozen more tries. Possibly even a couple dozen to get it perfected. I sure hope so.

Russ

I am with the group on this one. But I enjoy making it so happy to do so at home.

I think the key to finding good bbq is to look for one with actual smoke coming out of it. And getting to know the folks that cook it helps also. When you go they will provide your table with the best bits instead of what goes out to everyone else.

In response to this thread, I decided to drop by the local catering shop/BBQ joint that is near my office for lunch today to see whether I was misremembering the quality of their Q. They were closed down. Ended up with Sushi instead.

I just posted about this not too long ago. I went to what was supposed to be 3 of the top 5 BBQ joints in all of Texas. These were the "meat market" places where you bought by the pound. Dont get me wrong, it was good food, but my Q was(is) definitely better. Ribs, brisket, Pulled Pork I got'em hands down. Now on the topic of sausage, they had some killer beef links that I gotta try to replicate.

You know,since I got my smoker last year,I won't go to any BBQ joints anymore. I'm still learning,but I know my stuff is good(and getting better). And my friends are really liking it too!
icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, except for when you go to special places in Memphis for ribs, Lex-style in NC, and brisket in Texas...

For the most part, BBQ places are terrible.

The whole reason I BBQ is from a love affair of the stuff growing up. We used to go to a restaurant that had the old school brick smoker in the place. Guy hacked off what you ordered.

Then there was the other place about 40 miles away that had the feeding frenzy all you can eat family style of ribs, brisket, link and pork. Both were very good.

There was one other place (when I was really young) and I can still smell the meat / smoke / and sauce.

I move away from one and the other two closed. So I got started innocently enough with a performer (Christmas present and recipe for KC Style ribs). WSM comes 2 months later!

The rest is history. (Along with telling Weber history and how old everyone's grill is.

I teach so leftovers and word of mouth has spread. I have 2 minor Q jobs lining up. My brother in law took leftovers to his job. Like the pied piper people drift in with that glazed look asking about it and can they have some. He of course says NO! I think of Field of Dreams (smoke it they will come).

I tell my wife that I NEED MORE Q'n space. So the 22 is in order.

I am too young for midlife crisis but find myself wanting a "RIG" (rather than a convertible) and find myself studying Klose Pits, Gator Pits, and think maybe someday...(smoke it they will come)...

I actually channel surf TV to catch a glimpse of any BBQ in the shows. A great one on a competition in Memphis and I find myself looking beyond the people to the "rigs" and point these things out to my wife.

I find myself driving around town... Buying any BBQ I can find and realize "mine is better". Wife says the same...We find ourselves breaking the flavors or sauces and meats. Mumbling that if we really wanted to we could pull it off (catering, restaurant, etc.) Although we also find ourselves talking about what these places must be doing that it tastes that much less than what we produce.

Now when I e-mail family about bbq everyone RSVP's in minutes. During the meal my 2 year old princess of a niece starts stacking pork and brisket to make her own sammie on the plate and eats everything like a wild animal.

I am making sides and sauces.

I missed parts of the Super Bowl to hit the mark on a great Tri - Tip

I...can't...stop...
--------------

Yes we are spoiled but it is also a curse...One that many of us on this web site must live with...........

Thanks again for a great Web Site.

Keep on keepin' on.

Back