Anyone ever "cheat" a brisket?

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Running low on one of my fav food groups :D Thinking of throwing a brisket on soon (even though supposedly we're headed to a polar vortex and a bomb cyclone (whatever that is). With some pretty brutal temps. So no overnight brisket on Big Z. Thinking of trying a good long smoke on the MM shielded in the garage. Then pulling, wrapping in paper and foil, and finishing in the oven inside for however long it needs to finish.
If you did it, how did you like it? Was flavor still good? Or did smoke get "lost"?

Meanwhile, I'm toying with the idea of pressure canning a brisket that has been consuming space in the freezer far too long :ROFLMAO:
You mean, cooked brisket you want to "can" or "jar" as it were? That seems interesting

Well I think a cheated brisket and pork shoulder is on my "horizon". I am almost out of pulled pork and beginning to get low on my leftover Christmas brisket. Wife had some last night.

You mean, cooked brisket you want to "can" or "jar" as it were? That seems interesting
I'm still reading and exploring whether I'd do a hot pack, or raw pack. I'm new at this, so I still need to work it out in my head. My current understanding has me thinking that if I do a hot pack I'll put it on a smoker to--maybe--a rare doneness and then finish in the canner.

But I shouldn't hijack your thread... good luck on your brisket! Over Christmas I put 4 chuck roasts on the SmokeFire and then cubed and sauced them and finished in the oven. They were every bit as outstanding as when I've used a smoker for the entire cook.

I'm still reading and exploring whether I'd do a hot pack, or raw pack. I'm new at this, so I still need to work it out in my head. My current understanding has me thinking that if I do a hot pack I'll put it on a smoker to--maybe--a rare doneness and then finish in the canner.

But I shouldn't hijack your thread... good luck on your brisket! Over Christmas I put 4 chuck roasts on the SmokeFire and then cubed and sauced them and finished in the oven. They were every bit as outstanding as when I've used a smoker for the entire cook.
Oh boy, there ya go making me feel badly about ruining 3 or 4 chuck roasts trying to smoke them. :D I ruined them so bad never trying again LOL. I am sure it was something in my "execution" but a guy can go broke that way :D

I always "cheat" as you put it. Since all the smoke flavor is absorbed in the first few hours, I usually only smoke until wrap point on briskets then in the oven in winter and gasser in summer. This keeps the heat where I want it (summer outdoors, winter indoors). With pork but it goes in the pressure cooker after 4 hours. I have been very happy this way. Saves a lot of effort and fuel.

Wow, on the Butt. Really the pressure cooker? So you smoke first then the pressure cooker? You have GOT to post that technique. Because if that works that is TOTALLY amazing! I would be all over that like white on rice!

If you did it, how did you like it? Was flavor still good? Or did smoke get "lost"?
Done it many times in the WSM, it's a great method. You may get a bit of diminished smoke flavor, but it's a trade-off for a shorter, easier process and well worth it, IMHO.

Done it many times in the WSM, it's a great method. You may get a bit of diminished smoke flavor, but it's a trade-off for a shorter, easier process and well worth it, IMHO.

Yup! Basically smoke it until you have a great crust and finish in the oven. Brilliant!

On the pork butt. I forgot to ask earlier. If you're finishing in a pressure cooker, how far do you take it in the smoker? To the stall? Or just good smoke for perhaps 2-3 hours then pull it and pressure cook it?
Kinda the same thing on the brisket? I find I can develop a nice crust long before the stall. So say I get a good 3 to 4 hours of good smoke on it, Pull, wrap and into the oven for the duration? What about temps on the brisket in the oven? I usually don't push my smoker temps above 275-280. Do the same in the oven or can they pushed to say 325?
This is pretty cool as it can open up a whole new world of bad weather smoking and since it looks like we'll have plenty of it (bad weather) coming up. This is REALLY good stuff to know :D

I bet that that would work for hot and fast too...i.e. smoke at higher temps ~ 350-375 until you get that nice bark before sticking it in the oven. I might try that for the next brisket and will report my findings...

On the pork butt. I forgot to ask earlier. If you're finishing in a pressure cooker, how far do you take it in the smoker? To the stall? Or just good smoke for perhaps 2-3 hours then pull it and pressure cook it?
Kinda the same thing on the brisket? I find I can develop a nice crust long before the stall. So say I get a good 3 to 4 hours of good smoke on it, Pull, wrap and into the oven for the duration? What about temps on the brisket in the oven? I usually don't push my smoker temps above 275-280. Do the same in the oven or can they pushed to say 325?
This is pretty cool as it can open up a whole new world of bad weather smoking and since it looks like we'll have plenty of it (bad weather) coming up. This is REALLY good stuff to know :D
With pork shoulder you can raise the temp pretty good. 3-350. If in a hurry. With brisket, trickier. I know people who cook at high temperatures. If you have time, stay lower. Say up to 275, maybe 325 maximum. 285 is probably the lowest and avoid wrap/long stall.
Wrapping may keep some of the smoke smell out of the house. (for pulled pork: You can use disposable trays, covered, if needed. With or without a MacGyvered rack to hold them out of the juice.
Brisket. Many people here have more experience. Especially with hot and fast.

Ps. I frequently use the oven for pulled pork. About ninety percent of the time!!!
May not fool people here, but is considered "the best they ever had", by people I know. So famous that in my expanded circle, I am commanded to bring it to every get together.

Back