Anyone done a small butt yet? Recommendations?

John - Cactuspilot

TVWBB Member
Picked up a small butt at Safeway - line at Costco was ridiculous.....

Any recommends yet from the SF experts on temps, times, pellet choices etc?

Water pan? Grease pan only?

If you can get 100% pellets that don't use other hardwood for the bulk you will have a lot better flavor, that said blends can be really good imo. comp blends can be a nice change of pace if you have been using only 1 flavor. pitboss now has a fruitwood blend that I will try when I run low of my stash of Lumber Jack

So I did the small shoulder. Was pretty inexpensive. Pre-ransack purchase at Safeway.

Used the drip trays Dave recommended with liner.

Started it at 11 pm at 225. Ran solid all night - definitely some tunneling when i checked it at 6 am, but no problems otherwise. Sorry the one pic on how juicy it was didn't focus properly.

IMG_1172.jpegIMG_1173.pngIMG_1169.jpegIMG_1171.jpegIMG_1175.jpeg

Trimmed pretty tight. Did a standard brown sugar rub (no mustard) ....225 from 11 pm till 1230 pm, wrapped at 175 and 280-300 for last hour and half, taken off at 195....then cooler for 2 hrs (we were hungry)

Thermpro measuring ambient only at the time - funny the Webber temp never strayed from 225 but the Thermpro which was on right side always showed change and little hotter generally.

Tasted great. Definitely on a par with WSM. Nice not having to watch the WSM all the time or wake up at 2 am or 4 am. Family was drooling.

Pretty pleased overall.

Glad I kept it.

Last edited:

Back