Anyone cook a Goose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff,
I have roasted a few in the oven. I used farm raised and not wild. I like to do them for Christmas Eve buffet parties. It is always the first to get devoured.
Brined, and then stuffed with sauerkraut and apples, sounds bad, but tastes great. I advise doing one on the WSM. Let me know if I can help with my recipe.

Jim

Doesn't sound bad to me! I have a bucket full of 16 pounds of cabbage fermenting right now - should be ready in about a week or two.

Where do you buy a goose? I imagine that it has to be special-ordered. Can you give us some idea of the price and weight ranges, and number of servings per bird? My guess is that they wouldn't be as meaty as a turkey, or are they?

Rita

Rita,
I purchase my Geese, through my local Pastrami Purveyor. He normally does not offer them until around Thanksgiving time. After a brief chat with him today, the brand he offers is, Whetstone Valley Goose, and it appears they are a subsidiary of Schlitz Foods, located in North Dakota. (605) 698-7651
And the website
http://www.schiltzfoods.com/welcome.html

All of your requested, information is located on their pages, and much to my pleasure, basically the same sauerkraut stuffing that I use, sans the apples.
In any event, I will post the recipe that I use, in the recipe section, after I dig it out.

Come to find out they are one of the largest growers in the country. I called Schlitz Foods, and talked with the "nice lady". She was very helpful, as to where and when geese are available.
While somewhat scarce this time of the year, they normally start gearing up for shipments in the autumn. I noticed that you are in the Atlanta area, and asked her for a local distributor.
She gave me the name of, AJC International, located in Chattanooga, TN. They are a wholesaler, but she said that if you contacted them, they would point you toward a retailer in your area. Here is their number.
404-252-6750.
http://www.ajcfood.com/

They are not nearly as meaty as a Turkey, but more meat than duck. Kind of in the middle. I recall somewhere of the $2.59/lb range, seems typical, and I would buy a 10lb bird.

Nice to see there is a fellow Krautmeister around. Three buddies and myself, chop the fall crop of cabbage, up here in Kinderhook. We annually grate up about 120 heads between the four of us. Spring, just seems too busy, since they are in the construction business. Anywho, if you have any trade secrets of kraut cooking, would love to hear them.

Jim

Hey, Jim Morrissey,

Wow! 30 heads of cabbage apiece -- now that's a LOT of sauerkraut! How long does that last you? Do you can it? I've found that when I can it, it loses its nice crispness, so I just vacuum-pack it and let it take up refrigerator space as well as give about half of it away. I'm at a disadvantage with kraut recipes - I'd like to try some new recipes...... I mostly use it on hot dogs and Reubens, and with bratwurst and knockwurst. I did make a pretty good cole slaw with it once but prefer my "Freezer Slaw," which is similar in flavor and sweetness. I'll post it in the Recipes section. Has anyone ever smoked sauerkraut?

Oh yes, the topic is goose.......
You really went out of your way to get all that great information on buying geese. I'll give the Chattanooga firm a call next week and if they have any additional information, I'll post it for everyone.

I looked at the telephone number a little more closely and saw that it's an Atlanta number, rather than Chattanooga, so I checked and it appears that their headquarters are about 3 blocks from my house! I pass it almost every day. I'll have to tell them I found them via Kinderhook!

Many thanks for all the great information,
Rita

Rita
Your right, it does loose a certain amount of crispness after it's hot packed. But tis always nice to have about 24 quart jars on hand in case the urge hits me.
Kraut as a side dish for Smoked Pork Loin is good, as are all the ways you mentioned. I've made a few dozen links of Krautwurst before, ground pork and kraut with some spices and then stuff into medium size hog casings. They are pretty good gently steamed over beer or on the grill. There was a Sauerkraut mailing list at one time, a few years back, seems to have dissipated or I got booted, not sure which. I posted a recipe over in the recipe section. Your Cole slaw looks tasty, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Thanks for keeping us updated on the Goose trail, they really are good. And now I am certainly going to do one in the WSM, when I can get my hands on a two legged critter.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back