Anyone BBQ under an EZ-Up?

Chris K

TVWBB Super Fan
Supposed to be freezing drizzle, snow and all sorts of unplesantrys for new years. Planning on setting up my new EZ-Up (think you santa) and cooking under it. I am only going to attach 3 of the 4 sides to keep some ventilation and block the wind at the same time. Any thoughts or concerns with this plan? I know dont let the sides touch the hot cooker or grill.

You should go to a BBQ festival... Many people and their small cookers are under them. Acyually have seen some pretty big ones under there also, but I don't know about that. Just remember to think safety.

If there is much wind, have that pup staked down well.
They make an excellent kite.

Ditto on staking it down if there is going to be wind...I have seen a number of folks use them to cook under...wanting to get one myself this summer!

Since this will be on my deck I am going to just screw the corners down......Or use cinder blocks, haven't decided. Will be a nice change since it is raining. Setuping in the rain is not the coolest.

Chris, ya might wanna re-size that pic...I got high speed and it is takin a while to load in...Dial up will suffer!

Everything looks great...man your neighbors gotta love/hate you when you fire up...espically when you are doing steaks on the performer and also doing butts or ribs in the WSM at the same time. The only issue I have, and it is minor, is the Knob Creek picture. I think Bookers and/or Bakers is better in that small batch family. I tired a bottle of Knobs one time and it was not very good (IMO) compared to the afore mentioned brands!! I haven't tried Basil Hayden as it is only 80 proof. I prefer my Bourbon to be at least 100 proof. Any of your neighbors up for sale. I'd be your next door anytime...we could eat BBQ and decide which borubon is the best!!

BTW, I got Ridel bourbon drinking glassses from my brother-in-law for Christmas! They are nice to drink the sweet nectar from!!

If it rains a lot, keep an eye on the EZ Up. They are not meant to provide shelter from rain.
Water can collect in the top and pull the edges over the frame, dropping a couple gallons right on your cooker!

Hey Chris, is that gate around the WSM & grilss to keep them from wandering away?
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks great!!

The gate is to keep the dogs from getting the noses burned. My neighbors love it in the summer when I cover the 22" platinum in fresh corn on the cob, the 18" platinum in chicken and ribs on the smoker. It really smells good. Sorry you dont care for knob creek I feel it is a decent drink, and it is 100 proof. My fav thing to drink is Jameson irish whiskey, pretty cheap but good none the less. Thanks for all the EZ up tips, they will proove useful. Oh and it is a water heater wrap on the WSM, I took it off as an experiment and the cooker droped 30 degrees in 5 minutes. It is cheap and works well. All in all New Years way awesome this year, lots of good cookin. Happy 2005 all, make it a good one.

Chris K: Curse you and your nice backyard and roomy deck
icon_wink.gif
! I'm one of those condo owners that has nothing more than a long, narrow strip that is barely wide enough for the WSM and a person to walk by it! At least it's legal to use charcoal in my community! I'd move if it wasn't.

Burbon: It's true with all of those Jim Beam small batch burbons, the more expensive it is, the better it is. The Booker's and Baker's are top notch stuff, but a bit tough on the wallet. For a $20 (or less if you're lucky) the Knob Creek is a great everyday burbon, although it does have a noticeable sweetness that can turn some people off. The Basil Hayden is the odd bird of the bunch, some people love it, others hate it with the heat of 1000 suns (me). I reccomend finding a bar and trying a shot before buying a whole 750ml bottle.

Irish Whiskey: Ahhhh... so smooth and oh so drinkable. Even the "cheap stuff" is worthwile (John Power, Tullmore Dew, Bushmill's White Label). That triple filtering really smoothes out what would otherwise be a harsh drink. If you really want some sippin' whiskey treat yourself to the Bushmill's 16 year, it's about in the same price range as the Booker's and Bakers (well maybe a little more) but IMO a much better sippin' whiskey.

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris K:
Oh and it is a water heater wrap on the WSM, I took it off as an experiment and the cooker droped 30 degrees in 5 minutes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
What was the outside temperature when you did your experiment?

Chris, I noticed the water heater blanket from the HD has a felt type material on the inside with an alumn. face. I know there is a brief discussion in another thread about this blanket but, what I am unclear about is how this "inside" felt material handles the temps of the smoker. Someone had mentioned in another discussion that material from the blanket they were using stuck to the smoker. Any problems that you have noticed?

Also, does anyone know what the inner lining of the smoking jacket (Guru) is made from? Is it alum. or similar material as the water heater blanket?

J,

Here's a cut/paste from the BBQ Guru's website concerning the material their jacket is made from:

The SBSJ is custom sewn from 1000° F aluminized fiberglass which is used to make fire suits.

It was about 5 degrees with a 15+ knot wind. I have had no problems what so ever with the blanket sticking or even looking like it may stick. I believe in order to say it is fire resistant up to 700 degrees the weakest link must be up to the 700 degree task. Also the smoke was 21 hours and there were still enough briquets in there for about 5 more hours, still lots of black on the coals. Making the cooker more efficient has benefits on lots of levels.

Side note: about 12:30-1AM the gusts were about 20+ and I had to take down the ez up. I just couldnt fasten it down in that wind. Boy was that fun in sleeping shorts and sandals. Brrrrr

Back