Any WSC people find a need for Weber Grilling Rack?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Curious if any WSC people are using the Weber Grilling Rack and if so, for what. I can see adding it for extra space on larger cooks as a warm holding area.

SummitKamado_Grill_Banners4.jpg

Seeking any owner feedback on its usefulness or uselessness. TYIA

how easy it is to manage proteins/food underneath the rack when it's in use? would you know the clearance height?
Clearance height underneath is 4 3/4 inches. I have one for my grilling center and really like it. When cooking chicken it is easy to manage with turning and such. I use mine to cook two layers of tri-tips which don’t require turning or flipping and also putting a foil pan of beans under when cooking pork butt. I like it but honestly don’t use it all that much. I have a half moon warming rack I use on my 26er that is more useful.

I have the SnS version for my kettle & it is hard to manage whatever is under it plus it’s a similar shape as the SnS so it’s not real big. When I was researching the WSC I found a post where a guy was raving about the Ceramic Grill a store version for the Big Joe. It’s a smarter design where a portion of the expander rack is removable.

I made my own out of a grate for a smokie joe. I use it almost everytime I cook pork chops or chicken. I bank the coals to one side and put the rack with meat on the opposite side. I add a chunk of apple wood to the coals and direct the smoke over the meat. I set the lower vent to about 1/3 open and after about 30 minutes the meat reads 155-160 degrees.

I made my own out of a grate for a smokie joe. I use it almost everytime I cook pork chops or chicken. I bank the coals to one side and put the rack with meat on the opposite side. I add a chunk of apple wood to the coals and direct the smoke over the meat. I set the lower vent to about 1/3 open and after about 30 minutes the meat reads 155-160 degrees.
Any pics you could share? Thanks 🙏🏼

Any pics you could share? Thanks 🙏🏼
Sure, next time I use it I'll post a picture.

I'm actually using it for my performer not a WSC. I was focusing on how you can make your own instead of purchasing one from Weber.

Edit

If you go to this link I copied this idea. Mine looks nearly identical. A smokie joe grate and a few parts from a hardware store.

Last edited:
I always have issues on my Genesis with the small warming rack getting I my way while trying to move or turn food.
So I usually remove it during most cooks.
But that is just me. I guess that is why I have 2 performers....

Curious if any WSC people are using the Weber Grilling Rack and if so, for what. I can see adding it for extra space on larger cooks as a warm holding area.

SummitKamado_Grill_Banners4.jpg

Seeking any owner feedback on its usefulness or uselessness. TYIA
I use it all the time. works perfectly. I have 52 lbs of PB stuffed in the E6, Couldn't do it without the grilling rack.

Attachments

• IMG_9003.jpeg
    IMG_9003.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9008.jpeg
    IMG_9008.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Great example of going vertical in the smoker. Looks good. Real good. 225° for 10 hours?
We'll see. That's a lot of meat stuffed in that cooker! I'm using my Signals Smoke4 and Billows to keep the temp consistent, and I can get some sleep... maybe. At some point I'll have to get up and wrap.

Did I get the 225° right? That was a butt load of meat. The WSC is so perfectly insulated. All the heat was on the meat. No wasted fuel.
227, but close enough. The pic below is how much charcoal was left over, a few more hours left!

Attachments

• 4D2CC20C-C5B3-47EF-B8F8-776D061A045A.jpeg
    4D2CC20C-C5B3-47EF-B8F8-776D061A045A.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 13
I have one. I initially bought it for the kettle or the Performer, but it was too high to be practical in my opinion. Tried it on the WSM 22 one day, and it works very well. I haven't used it much, but it's been used on a couple of large cooks, definitely adds a lot more room.

Charlie

Back