Any Winos Out There? *****

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
We also love the Ravenswood zin. Another favorite is anything from Layer Cake - we particularly like the Primitivo (zin) and the Shiraz. Both are about $16 a bottle.

A good go-to cab that is under $15 is Liberty School.

Enjoy,

Ray

I can vouch for the Liberty School. I've had that once or twice at restaurants, but haven't seen it in stores around here.

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$12.99 with free shipping from winestilsoldout.com. I love that site!

Jim,
I agree - I visit their ads every day! Fantastic deals.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Coonawara Shiraz/Cab on there now is pretty nice for 10.99.

Red wine lovers...a Robert Parker 90 for under $10.

Maipe Malbec 2008 $7.99-9.99. Costco is 7.99.

From the net, the winery looks state of the art. They have a history of 90-98 ratings for this wine going back six vintages or so. No it isn't a fifty dollar wine but I have certainly had some expensive wines not as well balanced as this. It's a treat!

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Red wine lovers...a Robert Parker 90 for under $10.

Maipe Malbec 2008 $7.99-9.99. Costco is 7.99.

Some friends brought a bottle of that over last weekend. Very nice. An outstanding value at those prices.

The Trinchero "Chicken Ranch" Merlot that is on winestilsoldout.com right now is a pretty nice wine - especially for $14. Free shipping if you buy 4 or more.

Nope, I'm a Beer-O!!
icon_biggrin.gif
You can have them rotten grapes.
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Nope, I'm a Beer-O!!
icon_biggrin.gif
You can have them rotten grapes.
icon_razz.gif
I'm mostly a Beer-O and often a Wine-O. Sometimes I'm even a Cuerv-O. I'm also a Stoli-O, a Crown Royal-O, a Bacardi-O...

Since Korean taxes on alcohol are outrageously high, I usually wait for a special introductory price on a wine and then splurge for a few cases.

Since Korea's FTA with Chile, there has been a sharp price drop on some really nice stuff. Lately I've been sipping this G7.

If you guys see it for around $5.00 it's a steal!

One type wine my Bride and I like in the hot summer months is Vinho Verde from Portugal. As the name implies it is a white wine made from green grapes. It has a bit of a tart flavor and usually a little fizz. It is usually quite low in alcohol (around 9% vs the more usual 13 or so) and very very refreshing.

As an added bonus it is dirt cheap; usually around $4-$5 per bottle.

Whilst I'm typing this post, i'm sipping on a Rosemount Cabernet Sauvignon from the Hunter Valley Australia, very smooth 2008 and while it's still quite young, with an hour's worth of airing,it's a very nice drop.This one cost me about $10 aus.
While the Hunter region (just north of Newcastle NSW) can produce nice reds like shiraz & merlots, the Coonawarra is where it's at and in the barrossa Valley in South Australia close to Adelaide,you'll go hard to find a better range of Cab Sav's.

I tips me glass....

Cheers

Davo

I have about 2 cases of 2 Buck Chuck in the garage but am not much of a wine drinker. I'll have a glass now and again If a bottle gets opened though. I guess my favorite is Cabernet Sauvignon.

Davo, i like a lot of the Rosemount wines; in fact I like a lot of Australian wines in general. On the cheaper end Lindeman's makes a very nice Chardonnay and they have a good cab/shiraz blend that is a great value in the 1.5l bottle. On the upper end Boarding Pass/First Class makes some phenomenal shirazs in the 15-25 bucks/bottle range, as do Torbruk and Molly Dooker.

And when I win the lottery one of my first purchases will be a case of Penfolds Grange
icon_smile.gif

Sean,

Molly Dooker turns out some very nice stuff.

Some friends brough over 7 Deadly Zins yesterday. I really enjoyed it, and they said it was under ten bucks.

In another life, I have a side-gig as a wine reviewer and I endorse the suggestion for Ravenswood Zinfandel.

Not only is it both excellent and an excellent value, it also pairs rather well with the sorts of foods we tend to enjoy here.

-Joe

P.S. About the only sort of beverage I will not drink are "energy drinks" or diet drinks or anything with "pep" in the name. All other categories of fermentables and spirituous liquors are to be cherished.

I have both consumed and sold my fair share of Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zin, but have to say the Bogle Old Vines Zin, for the same price (in this market) beats it out, year after year.

And, speaking of Bogle, the Petite Sirah and Merlot are perennial winners. And the Sauvignon Blanc 2008 is spectacular for the price.

All this conversation about Zins has me yearning for Ridge Zins...it's been a while since I sold them but they are fine. Looks like the price has climbed.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Looks like the price has climbed.
What hasn't? In this market, in 1997, Hess Select Cab was $8; Mt. Veeder Napa and Franciscan Oakville Estates Cabs were both $13, and both Far Niente and regular Caymus Cab were $35.
icon_eek.gif

I'm actually in the wine business (importer/distributor), so I guess that makes me a Wino? The best bang for your buck nowadays is from Argentina and Chile. Tres Palacios, Kingston Family Vineyards, Altos Los Hermigas, Huarpe, to name a few.

Back