Any way to fix chipped porcelain hood?

ErikMn

TVWBB Member
I've been searching the net but haven't found much. I have a few pea size chips on the outside top of the hood. Wondering if there's any way to fill these in with something that will last with high heat?

I'd goto the local auto parts store to look at the high heat caliper, engine, and manifold paints. If you have a black or red lid you should be able to get a reasonably close color match, the green or blue will be tougher. What I got for the chips on my blue performer was VHT clear satin exhaust manifold paint. It's safe to 2000 degrees...if my kettle gets that hot we have bigger issues!

I cleaned the chipped areas the best I could, sprayed the paint on a paper plate, then used a q tip to swab it onto the damaged areas. Time will tell how it holds up but it's doing well so far.

I'd goto the local auto parts store to look at the high heat caliper, engine, and manifold paints. If you have a black or red lid you should be able to get a reasonably close color match, the green or blue will be tougher. What I got for the chips on my blue performer was VHT clear satin exhaust manifold paint. It's safe to 2000 degrees...if my kettle gets that hot we have bigger issues!

I cleaned the chipped areas the best I could, sprayed the paint on a paper plate, then used a q tip to swab it onto the damaged areas. Time will tell how it holds up but it's doing well so far.

I have a red hood. Maybe I'll try that.

What are you waiting for? Redheads are the most desirable color hoods. I just came across one and am in the process of finding a grill to put it on.

I still have the wood handle to sand down and refinish. Is about 95% put back together. I might take the valves apart and re grease them they're pretty stiff.

I may or may not have driven 2 hours...each way...to get a free redhead from Fairfield, CT early one Saturday morning...

I may or may not have driven 2 hours...each way...to get a free redhead from Fairfield, CT early one Saturday morning...

Yeah I probably won't replace the hood. I'm not trying to do a showroom resto ha. I was going to have the cart powder coated until i found out the cheapest place was 200$. I then decided to just clean it up re paint the firebox, lid sides and frame, and re use everything possible.

Got new burners, grates, flavorizers, regulator, igniter assembly. Supplies plus parts I'm into it for roughly 250$. Cost to get the grill FREE.

You ever get down to Illinois? I have a Genesis Platinum (silver w/red pinstriping) in perfect condition and a red hood with no chips for older style Genesis grills (I, II, III or 1000, 2000, 3000) type. I could cut a deal on one or both. If interested PM me

You ever get down to Illinois? I have a Genesis Platinum (silver w/red pinstriping) in perfect condition and a red hood with no chips for older style Genesis grills (I, II, III or 1000, 2000, 3000) type. I could cut a deal on one or both. If interested PM me

No only been that way twice. My wood handle was rough but salvageable. I sanded it enough to take the top coat off. I've never owned one of these. Is the handle supposed to be just slightly loose when bolted in?

There's not enough room for a shim but a matchbook cover would snug it up.

They're supposed to be a little loose. You're fine there. Let me know if you get interested in the lid(s). I can look into shipping for you or next time wife goes there (she's from Richfield) I can throw it in the trunk.

Crazy, I'm in St Paul. Do you have dimensions for the wood slats on the side tables? I ordered some brackets to replace my missing one i just need the wood now.

I could measure them but before I get to it I'll lay odds someone on this board who has made them will beat me to it LOL. Also small world I was a flight attendant based there in MSP for Delta. But the weekly drives back and forth from n IL were getting old and having to rent a crash pad.

No only been that way twice. My wood handle was rough but salvageable. I sanded it enough to take the top coat off. I've never owned one of these. Is the handle supposed to be just slightly loose when bolted in?

There's not enough room for a shim but a matchbook cover would snug it up.

Erik a friend of mine had the same issue. I cut a strip from an aluminum beverage can and wrapped it around each end and drilled the hole for the bolt to go through. snugged it up to his liking.

LM no hurry, I have to rip up my bathroom floor this weekend do to a leaking toilet I didn't know about when i bought my house so the grill might not be finished now for a couple weeks.

Bob thanks for the idea, the slight play bothers me, i dunno i just feel like if a handle is on something it should feel solid.

Erik really the "play" should be in there. Allows for expansion/contraction with the heat. My Genesis was like that from the day I bought it new. I don't know when my wife is going back up there. She goes back to help care for her mother. She was there about 3 weeks ago. I think she'll perhaps be heading that way in another 3 weeks or so. Her mother is "up there" age wise and having some somewhat serious issues (dementia and mild parkinsons) so she needs to see her a few times a year.

Back