Any Summit X-X70 owners here?

W Turner

I am in researching a new gas grill purchase. After considering the current Genesis and comparing other features, and also considering waiting on the new Genesis IIs coming out in the spring, we have decided on a Summit S-4....something. I prefer the stainless model and we only need a four burner grill. The 4th burner and the larger diameter bar stock used in the grate is what drove the decision to go with the Summit over the Genesis S-330. Now I have to decide between the S-420 and S-470 model. The $1400 of the 420 is already in "ouch my wallet!" territory for me. The $1800 for the 470 has me wincing and my wife rolling her eyes. However, it seems that the new Genesis IIs are going to be bumped up into the current Summit price range which doesn't bode well for the next refurbish of the Summit series. ($3200 for a 4 burner grill anyone? ) So I am considering purchasing the 470 with the plan that it will be my last grill for a very long time. I will baby it the best I can and rebuild when the time comes instead of purchasing new in 8 to 10 years.

So I wanted to hear from 470 and 670 owners....do you actually use all the upgrades that the 70 model has over the 20 model? I am really interested in the sear station burner. In fact if there was a 4 burner grill with the sear burner and none of the other 70 model upgrades, I probably would have purchased it. We currently don't use a rotisserie or a smoke box with our current grill. It's nice to think of all the new things you could do with them, but it also possible to stay in the same old grilling habits and they end up never used. My wife is somewhat concerned over losing grill space to the smoke box (and a 670 is out of the question.) Other upgrades like the backlit knobs are cool to look at but in the end they are just bling that probably will end up breaking and needing to be fixed in a few years.

I would also like to hear some opinions on the go for broke plan, IE buy the 470 as my last grill for a very long time and keep it repaired because the next Summit series is going to be in the Vieluxe price range. Is this a viable plan? Or does the long term availability of parts or their eventual cost mean that you end up needing to purchase new anyway?

TIA for the input

Probably too late, but I have a 2016 Summit S-670 now, and had a 2005 Summit previously. Let me know if I can help.

Back