Any suggestions for a source for chiles in Canada

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
After reading all these rub recipes I would like to try making some at home. Does anyone know of a source in Canada for the dried chiles?

Thanks
Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm not sure where it is you live, but if you live anywhere near Toronto I found a great shop in Kensington Market that sells a wide array of dried chili's and powders.

If you are looking for fresh, have a look around at larger "farmer's markets" as I have seen more then a few stands that are carrying assorted chili's. St. Jacob's market has vendor who sells everything from Bell Peppers to Pablano to Scotch bonnet and Habanero. I'm sure St Lawerence market would have lots too.

If you are in a region without an "ethnic" population you might just have to find out if some of the american spice companies will ship to canada.

I live on a ranch near Drumheller so Calgary is my closest large city. I am looking for dried peppers and powders and don't mind mail ordering in Canada.

Thanks
Ken

Hi Scooter,
Do you remember the name of the shop in Kensington Market? I've found a web listing of all the stores there and if you can get the name I will try and contact them.

Thanks
Ken

Sweet Freedom ships to Canada. Don't miss the aji amarillos. I always buy whole then grind if I need ground. They have ground as well on a different page.

I have ordered from sweet freedom, there are some pretty high shipping costs to Canada, they aren't on the web site they just email you after. They have really good product though. Having said that Silk Road in Calgary sells all sorts of dried peppers, they are only online but they have really nice spices. I haven't tried there peppers yet. If you spend $100 combined your shipping is free although I imagine shipping in the same city would be basically nil. IF they don't have what you're looking for on the web page just email them and they will get it.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
I have ordered from sweet freedom, there are some pretty high shipping costs to Canada, they aren't on the web site they just email you after. They have really good product though. Having said that Silk Road in Calgary sells all sorts of dried peppers, they are only online but they have really nice spices. I haven't tried there peppers yet. If you spend $100 combined your shipping is free although I imagine shipping in the same city would be basically nil. IF they don't have what you're looking for on the web page just email them and they will get it.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've not tried Silk Road yet either, but told a friend about them, he ordered and received it the next day, in about 18 hours actually.

Thanks Shawn - that is nice and close!!!!! I'll look them up.

Shawn,
Where do you purchase your briquettes in Calgary - I am looking for a good source as they are hard to come by in Drumheller -ewspecially in the winter.

Thanks
Ken

I use mostly Dragonbreath lump these days and pick it up from Barbecues Galore here in Calgary. It's about $1/lb, oak and hickory. Good stuff.

For briquettes I buy a lot of the Royal Oak Plus (red bag, yellow lettering). I always watch Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire for end of season clearance on them early fall and grab as much as I can get at like $3 - $5 /18lb bag. I'd suggest avoiding the Royal Oak blue bag Star Grilling product they carry though. I don't like it at all.

yeah, trying to get briquettes up here out of season is difficult and pricey

Welcome aboard Ken!

Another question for you Shawn W.

Where do you get your smoker wood in Calgary? I did get my WSM at Barbeques Galore!

Thanks
Ken

Good news.

I ordered a whole bunch of product from New Mexico Connection, https://www.newmexicanconnecti...2ff0beadcbc9f1df154c

and I received everything intact and promptly up here in Alberta without any hassle!!!!!!!

All the peppers look and smell fantastic. I just need to start finding some recipes for all of these peppers in addition to grinding them up for rubs. I am open to any suggestions!

If anyone has recipes for utilizing these wonderful chilies into wild game dishes that would be great as that is what I primarily cook/eat.

I would highly recommend New Mexico Connection to my fellow Canadians.

Thanks
Ken
Drumheller,Alberta

Back