Any info on the Weber Summit Silver?

DTrinh

Hello all,

First time poster here. I have been a long time Weber user and have been using a Genesis E-320 as my main grill and have restored two older Genesis models and passed them on to my family.

I recently trash-picked a Weber Summit Silver from my neighbor down the street. I dont have the exact model number as the sticker is all but faded by now so i am not sure the exact model number. it looks identical to this model on amazon https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006LS6N/tvwb-20 (ignore the descriptions though, mine is propane).

The only glaring things that i see that it needs are a new wheel, and igniter. I fired up the grill with a manual lighter and fresh propane tank -the burners definitely need cleaning as the flames are mostly orange, but the flavorizer bars look to be in good condition with no holes in them or anything.

I noticed that the grates are some more of a cheapy kind of metal vs the cast iron ones that i have on my genesis or other stainless steel ones that i've seen around. Is it possible to order a better quality material for this grill or is it not worth it? Can anyone else tell me anything more about this grill? It looks almost identical in size to my genesis E320 but it has more flavorizer bars and another burner.

here is the actual grill i picked up.

Last edited:
I just junked a NG and LP version of that grill. They are typically money pits to restore. The front and back of the cook box tends to rust out bad and replacements are not available. The flavorizer bars are about $200 alone. Yours look to be broken on the center piece like they so often are.

Don't just junk the whole thing if you do though. Those tables and end caps on the shelves will fit a Silver B/C grill.

Bruce -- Thanks for the heads up. I was eye-ing one of those up but will now stay away.

Can that second swing down table on the right side be grafted onto any older Genesis Silver frames (which typically just have the left side drop down)? I find that second table really practical and handy to make a mid-size grill more use-able.

Last edited:
Summit is the top line of Weber. In my opinion the other grill on your deck is nicer and easier to work.

Parts for the Summit are expensive.

Your cooking grids are Stainless Steel. They are still usable. The cooking grids are the same length as an old Genesis B/C but you need 2 and a half grids to make the width. You can get after market grids and use the best part of your existing grids.

I'd keep it for awhile before deciding to sink money into it.

Bruce -- Thanks for the heads up. I was eye one of those up but will now stay away.

Can that second swing down table on the right side be grafted onto any older Genesis Silver frames (which typically just have the left side)? I find that second table really practical and handy to make a mid-size grill more use-able.
If the frame has the little catch on it for the right side like the left side that holds the shelf up, then YES. You would also need that end cap on the end of the frame.

I just junked a NG and LP version of that grill. They are typically money pits to restore. The front and back of the cook box tends to rust out bad and replacements are not available. The flavorizer bars are about $200 alone. Yours look to be broken on the center piece like they so often are.

Don't just junk the whole thing if you do though. Those tables and end caps on the shelves will fit a Silver B/C grill.
Question about the flavorizer bars, any reason why I can't get a bar made for another model and cut it to size with an angle grinder?

Can you tell me what I could do to prevent the kind of rusting you speak of? I'll inspect it again later today and pay more attention to the condition of the box. I don't think I would restore this to new but would like to get it into good working condition and reasonably cleaned.

The only money I'd probably sink into it right now is pick up a caster wheel and maybe an igniter if they are cheap otherwise I'll have two grills for batch cooking large amounts of food this spring and summer!

The Flavorizer bars on the Summit are special. They have a single bar going perpendicular through the middle of them all that is welded to the bars to hold them together and in place. The welds tend to break on those fairly quick. Not a good design.

Question about the flavorizer bars, any reason why I can't get a bar made for another model and cut it to size with an angle grinder?
The previous Summit 4-burner model uses 7 individual Flavorizer bars that are 15-7/8" long.

img_4978-1024.jpg

I think the purpose of the cross piece in the middle of your Flavorizer bars is to cover/protect the crossover tubes that connect burners 1/2 and 3/4. On the previous Summit, the crossover tubes are located at the back end of burners 1/2 and 3/4 almost up against the back of the firebox and are unprotected except where the Flavorizer bars happen to pass over them.

hello i have 2 of these grills they are a money pit igniter is electronic and expensive i did replace one cook box free from Weber about 3yrs ago i dont know if they are still available you would need your serial # for warranty

Attachments

• P1070206.JPG
    P1070206.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 24
  • P1070207.JPG
    P1070207.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 23
Yikes. So the keyword for this grill is "Money Pit". I'll certainly keep that in mind when im cleaning this guy up. This website is awesome, thanks for all of the responses.

It really depends on what needs to be fixed. Some of the parts might be even still under warranty. Back then Weber offered 25 years and even lifetime warranty on certain parts. And if you are on good terms with your neighbor and he is the orginal owner he or you might get some of these parts replaced for free from Weber.
I restored a similar one last year which was sitting in storage for years. The previous owner never cleaned it before it went into storage. It was nasty but all the grease acted as a conservation layer. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0426[1].JPG
    IMG_0426[1].JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 27
As LM has pointed out so many times re: Summit gen1 firebox, that warranty does not guarantee they continue to stock all parts for 25 years. :(
I know Chris. Unfortunately. Same with SS lids for the Genesis Gold/Platinum. They will now send you a black lid. But at least you get a lid.

Back