Any great Pastrami recipes out there ?!

Carlos Gregory

TVWBB Member
Just made some homemade bacon the other day and now I'm ready to tackle some homemade pastrami ... all the way from scratch !

Look in cooking topics. The recipe there is da bomb. Whenever I make it, I imagine I am in a New York City Jewish deli!

I have to object. To go by "look and feel" when it comes to spices, OK, but when it comes to salt, you have to know what you are doing when you are curing meat. You have to measure out the right amount of salt (and nitrites). The difference between "not enough salt" (and also dangerous when it comes to bacteria growth) and "too salty" is not much more than couple of teaspoons, if we are talking about two pounds of meat.

I only watched the first video before I decided that this guy does not know what he's talking about, so I did not watch video number two.

Salpeter (KNO3)r is obsolete, and natriumnitrite (NaNO[SUB]2[/SUB] ) does a better job. you can find salpeter in rather old recipes, but it should be replaced. Use curing salt, or natriumnitrite instead.

Back