Any Good Rice Recipes ???

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I use rice as a side at least once a week but don't really have any great recipes to change it from bland to tasty. I've got a simple Spanish Rice recipe that uses chili powder, cumin and salsa and a Greek recipe using lemon juice and oregano but they all seem to fall a little short. I've tried toasting, braising and steaming jasmine (which is good with an accompanying sauce) but nothing really pops. I've Googled it with little success. Does anyone have a tried and true method/recipe that I can use?

Thanks.

For a super simple one I use a box of Goya yellow rice and add a small can of diced green chiles. Zatarains makes some good box rice also.
For basic rice we use the Par Excellence brand.

Tim

Mushroom fried rice. It's basic but yummy

Evoo
1 medium size onion
3-4 cloves garlic
Lots of mushrooms(whatever kind turns your crank)
1 cup rice
21/2 - 3 cups veggie or chicken broth
2 eggs( your making scrambled eggs )
Soya sauce( I use low sodium)

Cook the rice in the broth. If the rice instruction ask for 21/2 cups I use 3. Cook the rice so it's just tender to the bite, don't overcook it. Strain the rice but don't rinse it.

While the rice is cooking fry the onion and garlic in a wok with some evoo till onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and fry till they are cooked to the texture you like and then set aside. Add a little more oil to the wok and then slowly add your eggs and stir constantly. Add the rice and fry for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Add the soya to taste, I don't use to much only 5-10 dashes from the bottle or maybe a tablespoon. Add the mushroom mixture and keep frying till it's well mixed
together and serve. To class it up a bit you can add some chopped scallion greens for a bit of colour.

Thanks Len. I'm not surprised. If only I knew what else I did a year ago :)

I really haven't progressed much with rice. Lots of recipes seem promising but, when I actually make them, they don't seem to have much actual flavor. I made a paella a while back that was great but way too much work for a weekday. I'll check out the above.

Thanks all.

My favorite way to eat rice is with a little butter and soy sauce so I'm not much help. Fried rice is an excellent way to use up day old rice and make a good side dish.

A Jamaican dish, Rice and Peas is very good too!!

Last edited:
Have you tried sauteing some aromatics like onion, garlic, fresh herbs, than adding the rice and let that get some color like a Pilaf?
Basamiti rice is nice for that one, but regular white or brown works just as well.

Tim

Thanks Tim. When I have rice time, I saute onion/shallot, add a little garlic, then toast the rice adding stock, lemon juice, oregano and zest. It's a pretty simple Greek lemon rice. Tastes fine but not eye opening.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the lowly grain.

for a persian flair trying add some dried cranberries....delicious

Barberries are very good, if you can find them. In Farsi, they're called Zereshk so in a speciality store that is what you might see on the the package. Fry them in a pan with sugar and butter and sprinkle them on top of white rice.

I love using this stuff:
goya-sazon-con-culantro-y-achiote1.jpg

It turns everything unnaturally orange and obviously has MSG in it, but it's addictive.

1. I sweat down some onion and garlic in plenty of oil.
2. Add rice to pot and toast for a couple minutes
3. add 2 packets of Goya seasoning + 2 cups rice + a little more than 2 cups chicken stock. You can add any optional spices you want. I usually throw in a tsp each of cumin and coriander. Stir in chopped cilantro and bring to a simmer
4. Once simmering, cover and move to a 350 degree oven until done.

Try this if you haven't yet: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47811-Our-rice-recipe

I picked up a mixed grain container of rice I liked a lot from Costco or somewhere last year, last night I went to the bulk foods section & got a few scoops of Lundberg's wild blend. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good...

edit:>>>> I made some of this last night - very good! I like the different textures & flavors. I just mixed up a cup of the rice, 2.5 cups water, 1 t salt, in a sauce pan on the stove. Use a rice cooker! Mine turned out well but I had to check & adjust a lot more often & one misstep could = burn.

Last edited:

Back