any difference between cooking chicken and turkey?

The only problem is that all the ones I can find on Amazon top out at 8 pounds of bird. An 8 pound turkey would make the pre-Cap Steve Rogers look beefy by comparison. I've got a 17 pounder that I'd love to cook vertically, but can't find a rack with that capacity, at least not that I could get to my door in less than a week. Actually, there's one restaurant supply place near me that I haven't checked yet. I'll have to hit them Saturday morning to see what they have. I also have a neighbor who's a pretty capable welder...maybe I could have him fabricate one for me. They don't really seem all that complicated.

How does your skin come out at 265-270 degrees? do you finish it off over high heat to crisp it? I can use a vertical rack, but maybe in my 14.5 I would have to put it on the lower grate and leave off the top grate to fit it - I don't think there's enough room under the 14.5 dome for a vertical bird.
I must have had the wrong glasses on when I typed that or too many beers. I cook mine at 350 but I'm this close to cooking them closer to 400. At least 375

That's not really the same, though. That metal tube might transfer some heat, but not as much as it'd get with the typical wire-style stand. Not to mention that looks like it it might not have clearance on the top rack of my (18.5) WSM and definitely not on a kettle (unless it was placed on the charcoal grate).

Back