Any birria recipes?

Copy that, thanks!

This is one I used, minus the burger or not.

My first birria tacos were from a food truck last fall and they were really very good. So I made my first homemade birria tacos last December and I was completely blown away. My wife too. Way better than the food truck, and the food truck was really good! There are just layers of flavor. It's kind of indescribable. Absolutely amazing. They'll change your life. You may be tempted to change your religion. Homemade birria tacos are my new birthday dinner. Here's the recipe I followed and it came out great.

The hardest part is sourcing the ingredients, especially the peppers. Guajillo peppers are key. It's a long involved cook too. But fun.

Adjustments - I've done this four times so I have some experience. I would cook the tomatoes down for a half hour before adding them, steam out some of that water, otherwise the sauce is too soupy and not thick enough. Also, I would add a hefty amount of tallow (rendered fat) to the birria to be used later when you fry the tortillas. Otherwise, there is a good chance you'll run out, which is common with this cook. I used beef shank (it's got the bone marrow) and nice marbled chuck roast with lots of fat. And some short ribs. I actually used 6 lbs of meat - the bones are removed later.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back