another weekend of fun

P. Kelly

TVWBB Member
This weekend I am going to enjoy another opportunity to cook some BBQ on my WSM 22. I wanted to post my plan to get feedback from the board and see if I am on the right track with my times and temps. I picked up four whole chickens and two 3 ½ # chuck roasts for pulled beef. I seasoned the four chickens with WRO and the Chuck I seasoned with WRB. Everything is wrapped and in the refrigerator waiting for the weekend. I wanted to see if I have it right. I expect 5 ½ hrs on the chuck roasts (1 ½ hours per pound) on the lower rack, wrap at internal temp of 160 and back on until they reach an internal temp of 190. The chickens on the upper rack, done at with a internal breast temp of 170 and 160 thigh temp., about 3-4 hours. I intend MM with 3 baseball size chunks of apple wood and two chunks of hickory. Is that sound like a good balance for the smoke? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have it right. The goverment wouldn't think the chicken temps were high enough but most bacteria is dead by 150 degrees anyways so if you feel comfortable about it well then roll with it.

Thanks Robert, any input is appreciated. I expect for some carry over cooking while I let the chicken sit after pulling them.

My advice, while not specifically for this cook, would be to find a source for bigger chuck roasts if you are a fan of pulled beef.

I recently did my first big chuck roast. My Costco had a 25 pound chuck roll an I got them to cut it in half for me. Ended up with a 13 pound roast. I have cooked a few 3 to 5 pound chuck roasts and I was always a little suspect with the results. They seemed to cook faster than the 1.5-2 hours per pound that I was expecting and when pulling them they just seemed to have little pockets that were tough...like they weren't done.

Well, this big chuck roast cooked like a dream. Pulled perfectly with almost no waste from fat/gristle/ etc.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I was much more pleased with the meat from the big roast. Seems like I have read similar reports on here before.

I was thinking that the smaller roasts would cook quicker but for the first cook I plan on watching the temps closely due the smaller cut roasts. I am a Costco fan, is there any time of the week that Costco handles the larger chuck roll cuts you had? I would love to cook a 13-15 # chuck roll.
icon_cool.gif

Back