ANOTHER Rotisserie Question

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
I caught a BBQ U episode the other day - spit roasting St. Louis-Style ribs on a gas grill rotisserie by "threading the ribs on a skewer" - and Raichlen using [indirect, I believe] high heat as his technique; the ribs are supposed to be finished after about 1 1/4 hours.

I've never done "high-heat" ribs before - so my question is, is there any difference as to tenderness, moistness, etc., between high heat and, say, spit-roasting at about 275º and basting over a four hour or so period?

As I've just prepared my ribs for this afternoon's cook, any timely input would be appreciated!

I don't know what temp they where using but cooking ribs for only 1 1/4 hours doesn't seem like a good idea. I cook at 275 for 3+hrs. I feel that it would take longer than 1 1/4hrs, even at high heats(350+), to render the fat well. I could be wrong though, I'm not a pro.

Can't answer the rotisserie question, but have done BB on the gassed in 90min. Not as good as STL spares 5hrs @275, but still very edible.

Jeff, Raichlen doesn't specify a temp on the gas grill method (I'm using a recipe/technique I modified from one appearing in Barbecue! Bible Best Ribs Ever, but in the accompanying charcoal method, he advises the grill temps should be in the 325 - 350 range. I'm going to use that temperature as well, having decided to try the HH variation....

Back