another kettle pizza question - setting up your fire

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
My kettle pizza serious eats kit is arriving soon and in anticipation of this great day I've read through the many posts people have using this product. Thank you! My questions are (there seem to be conflicting arguments for all of these):

1) do you put your charcoal in the u shape and put zero charcoal under the majority of the stone? some people seem to just back it up on one side, others seem to put some under the cooking stone. how much charcoal do you use? I assume i'll use KBB.

2) do you preheat the stone in the oven or heat it when you dump the charcoal? how long do you wait for the kettle pizza to come up to temp?

3) do you put the wood on when assembling the pizza kettle or wait for it to come up to temp with the charcoal and then add the wood? my concern is it would burn off the fuel while waiting for the stone to come up to temp? I have some oak chunks I bought in bulk. they aren't logs per se, but fairly large. I would think they'd mostly burn off pretty quickly though.

4) when you add wood do you simply add it to the back or everywhere?

any tips would be much appreciated!

What works for me is I start the coals (KBB) in a large chimney and when about half lit dump them into my charcoal baskets and place them in a kinda U shape at the back of the grill. Place the stone in the grill and let the coals and stone get hot together. I use a cooking grate that has the hinged sides and take one of the sides off. The open side goes to the back which makes it easy to add the wood. After the coals are fully lit I add a load of wood let it burn for about 5 -10 minuets. Then add another load and by then the oven is between 600-700 which is where I like to cook at.
But I'm sure you will get a lot of other great ways to do it, lots of folks on here make some great pies using all kinds of different methods.

Back