Another HH question

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I've done 3 briskets HH in the last few weeks (latest a high end choice packer). Having converted to lump (Full Circle brand), I have no problem getting up to heat (in fact getting too hot sometimes), but the duration is not very good. I had to add more fuel after 3 hours yesterday (started with a full ring lit with a third lit chimney basically a MM type start). No heat sink used (just covered pan). Is this normal (clearly the mass of fuel is less than briq. due to the lower density of lump so maybe I'm making a deal out of nothing). Would the ideal approach be a mix of lump and briq for both heat and duration? What do you all use for HH?? - I've seen Kevin K. post that he uses briq. Otherwise, it sure is a darn easy and quick way to do a brisket!

Break your giant chunks down to smaler chunks and make sure your charcoal is packed in. And by packed I mean shake, push or tamp the charcoal down to get rid of air pockets.This will allow the fuel to burn slower.

If have several large hunks of fuel, when they burn the space left over will just allow the fuel to burn faster.

I try to break up my giant lumps of lump down into more reasonable size. Then I make sure I pack that charcoal chamber.

Don, First off I agree with Scott about making sure to pack your lump. It makes a huge difference. I suppose before I go on I'd have to ask, what was the wind like? A constant breeze will speed fuel consumption. I've been cought with my pants down in that situation a few times.

I did a high heat flat last night it took around 4 1/2 hours and I had a good half hour left on the fuel, but I only used a half to three quarters of a ring. I use much less lit, a third of a chiminey is quite a bit IMO. I use 8-10 briq. or the equilivent amout of lump...wont even cover the bottom of the chiminey. Make sure your lit is completely lit, it'll make a difference in how quickly the smoker comes to temp.

Last night the smoker came up to about 300 in the first 45 min, by the time I foiled it was about 350 and 2 hours later I was running just shy of 375, vents were mostly left completely open.

BTW I use Royal Oak, clay with sand, no ATC (yet)

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've seen Kevin K. post that he uses briq. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not by choice. For some time I had a god supply of lump. I dislike K but am using it now, since my lump is gone. I'd hoped to pick some up at a restaurant supply place in Tampa that craig castille found a while back--but have not had that opportunity, nor have I been able to figure out maybe meeting craig in Orlando, nor have I been able to get any while on the road.

I'm with Brandon and Scott: pack your ring carefully. If the lump is quality it will last longer than K. If not, all bets are off, but you can maximize time and fuel by packing well.

Back