Another good day to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
I marinated 20 lbs of chicken last night, I am using 3 different marinades. I am using Yoshida's gourmet sauce, an Italian marinade and a spicy garlic bbq sauce. I will be using a dry pan and some Real Flavor lump charcoal I found at Wal-Mart. Will post results. Good luck to all today /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif !

12:21 They said a few showers. I got a blob of good size rain coming down. My first batch at 350* was great!! I will post some shots after today is done. Current temp at lid is 250* in the rain. I am gonna let it stay there and see what happens.

5:30 The batch that I was smoking during our little spritz came out just fine. Took a little longer, but I added a little lump and temp went to 300* towards the end. Skin still crispy. I did notice that I used alot more charcoal, I assume the lower outside temp and the rain dribbling onto the WSM caused this. Third and final batch took about 1 hour at 350* to finish.
I tried to see how hot I can go in the WSM with Real Flavor lump. With about 10 lbs of chicken in the WSM the max was 375*. Mostly stayed around 350*. Will post pictures of chicken late tonight or tommorow.

My web site is down currently. Will post when its working. I thought setting up a simple web site would be easy....so far the only thing thats easy in my life is making good Q on my WSM.

I've been doing cut up chicken versus whole lately, it is easier to marinade and handle on the grill. I did try the butterfly method and that worked pretty well, but I think I still like the cut up better. I think I'll reserve the whole for beer can or rotisserie chicken.

Bob

When I do parts, I try to use the same part each smoke (all thighs, legs et.). I find this helps me to get a good batch each time. I personally like thighs. They smoke and taste better to me. At 77 to 99 cents a pound they are cheap enough to try new ideas without risking much.

One thing I learned from this smoke was the flavors of the marinades were not strong enough for me in the italian and spicy garlic for me, but all of them helped to make better chicken. I guess I will have to keep working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back