Another free Genesis 1000

JaredATaylor

Recently picked up another Genesis 1000 (had already found one in the spring that's had some good use this summer). Previous owner had kept it on his screened in porch, so it was already in pretty decent shape. Gave it a good cleaning inside and out and a bit of high heat touchup paint along with some varnish on the wood. Grates still have some life but will get replaced probably next year. Dates to 1998. Still needed burners, bars and have a new LP line ready to go when the full quick connect tank that came with it is empty. Going to give it to my parents to replace their Aldi knockoff Dyna-Glo (Range Master) gas grill that is already approaching the end of its life after four years.

IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4197.jpeg

Last edited:
Also seem to have determined that the difference between a Genesis 1000 and the 1000LX (linked in above post) are the slats on the bottom shelf vs. the wire rack and the slide-lock side shelf instead of the insert rod on the standard 1000. Wonder how much extra those features cost 20+ years ago! haha

That is an extremely good original specimen for a wood Genesis 1000.
No kidding. Had to drive about 40 minutes to pick it up, but was worth it. There was another I saw before this one also in good shape but the guy was asking $100 and it wasn't a must-buy situation. Glad I waited.

This one doesn't seem to suffer from the Weber fade, either, being kept out of the sun for the most part...I agree, the contrast between light and dark really catches the eye! Nice score!

Yah, I kind of thought they had as well, but I have seen others with wood that claimed later 1990's.

The other possibility is that someone swapped in wood at some point.

There will always be another one.....gotta remember that.
I imagine we'll be entering high season in the northern half of the country for people looking to let their old grills go for nothing or next to it with the changing of the seasons.

Yah, I kind of thought they had as well, but I have seen others with wood that claimed later 1990's.

The other possibility is that someone swapped in wood at some point.
It's a little like when someone does a gas conversion but doesn't include the tank support hardware...you can swap tables easily but the lid handle takes a little bit of doing, so I expect most people would either swap the entire lid or leave the plastic handle.

Back