Another Free Genesis 1000 LX

Just clean up the grates you have and see if you like the grill. If you do then simply invest in the best with Dave's stuff. I used my Wolf for 6 or 7 years like that until I said "yep I'm gonna have Dave make me a set custom for this beast". Love it BTW. My next thing is I am gonna see if he can make me a set of heat tents
Roy I second this. What are the issues with your grill right now? Does it work? Take some pictures and we can help you get it running at least, and then replacing things like flavorizer bars and grates are tool-less upgrades. If there's anything wrong that needs serious attention we can help you easily fix it up enough to cook on it.

Roy I second this. What are the issues with your grill right now? Does it work? Take some pictures and we can help you get it running at least, and then replacing things like flavorizer bars and grates are tool-less upgrades. If there's anything wrong that needs serious attention we can help you easily fix it up enough to cook on it.
Thank you. I'm chomping at the bit to get outside and get it going. I'm holding myself back because I had surgery on Monday and I'm not supposed to do anything. Was recovering nicely and then overdid it on Tuesday and have been in some pain for the last two days. So now I'm doing exactly what the doctor told me and laying low. Believe me, as soon as I can get out there to test the lines, then fire up the grill and get it going, I'll be on it.

Before the question gets posted, here is the Chargon. With this and a quality set of SS grates, you can clean them real well in a couple minutes. No worries about steel or copper brush bristles either. Oh, and it basically never wears out.

Chargon just arrived. Now my stainless grates have to get here so I can give it a whirl.

Roy, best if you put the grates to use a few times first. Burn some chicken on them and some burgers and get them all gunked up. Then do a burn in on the grates, let them cool down and then hit them with the Chargon. You will be surprised how quick and effective it is.

Roy, best if you put the grates to use a few times first. Burn some chicken on them and some burgers and get them all gunked up. Then do a burn in on the grates, let them cool down and then hit them with the Chargon. You will be surprised how quick and effective it is.
Thanks Bruce. Why do you recommend letting them cool first?

Mostly so you don't have to wear oven mits when doing. Also, after it cools, the gunk gets a bit more solidified and chips off better than if it is still goey and greasy. But, it will work either way.
Truth be told, I usually wait until I have heated it up for a cook an just before putting the meat on I chargon it if it is bad. In that instance, good heat resistant gloves/oven mits are essential because I leave the fire on as well.
I don't like heating it up just to scrape it out. Most would call it being lazy, others might say it saves gas and time. I'm lazy and impatient.

Mostly so you don't have to wear oven mits when doing. Also, after it cools, the gunk gets a bit more solidified and chips off better than if it is still goey and greasy. But, it will work either way.
Truth be told, I usually wait until I have heated it up for a cook an just before putting the meat on I chargon it if it is bad. In that instance, good heat resistant gloves/oven mits are essential because I leave the fire on as well.
I don't like heating it up just to scrape it out. Most would call it being lazy, others might say it saves gas and time. I'm lazy and impatient.
Do you still let it burn for 15 minutes after you're done cooking? Or do you do the burn-off when you turn the grill back on to heat it up for the next run?

Yep, I have heard of using an onion to season, clean grates. Again, I'm lazy.
But, when I am done cooking, I turn off the grill and go in and eat.

You're supposed to take a whole large onion, cut in half perpendicular to the pole direction. Jab it with a large fork. Dip the cut end in oil then go to work on the grates

Back