Another brisket question

Rick B

I'm just about out of time before a big party, so I had to settle for a 7 lb. flat brisket. This will be an all day cook. I will be doing two pork butts and the brisket as well as ribs later in the cook. Everything will be low and slow (about 225-240). So my question is how long on the brisket? I don't cook to temperature normally, just to doneness. Would you pull the brisket and foil it or just let it rest and then slice it?

How big are the butts? A 7lb brisket shouldn't take much longer than a 7lb butt.
I foil packer briskets at 165F, cook until 195F and rest in a cooler, foiled, for 2 hours. You'll get a softer bark but the meat will retain more moisture which is always a dry heat flat issue.

Flats don't cook or finish like packers. A great save all is a light jus on the side for dipping before serving. I reduce beef broth with some sriracha and garlic. My wife adds horseradish on a sandwich but that's not my thing although I can see how it works.

Ambitious cook though. No better way to test yourself and get comfortable.

Enjoy !

I always do two butts, a brisket, and two full racks of ribs (usually cut in half) all in one cook. Alway get perfect results with the butts, and usually good results on the brisket and ribs. The butts are about 8 lb. each.
Sometimes the brisket is a touch on the dry side and this one is certainly on the small side so that's why I was curious on foiling. Never tried that before.

A brisket flat of that size should take less time than the butts.

A good thick untrimmed flat should finish fairly close to a packer. If you are cooking till tender then foiling for two hours that's the problem. If you are cooking to some notion of internal temp that's the problem.

I never cook to a specific temp and as I said I've never foiled before. I just wanted to check and see if foiling a flat of that size is a good idea or not and how long you think it would take to cook that brisket (low and slow)

A 7-lb flat, especially if thick and not over-trimmed, does not need to be foiled. It is not necessarily a bad idea though.

At typical low/slow temps I would expect 8.5-9 hours. Timing will depend on actual cooktemps, grade, how thick the flat is, its temp when it goes in, and whether you foil or not. (Foiling will shorten cook time. )

Back