Another 420 Restoration

Sure is Fred. If they simply made them out of high grade stainless, there would be no issue at all. Seems to me that they could have afforded to use stainless or aluminum in the cook boxes instead of the porcelain coated steel and still come out ahead. They have replaced quite a few "ENTIRE" cook boxes due to warranty claims over the years.

Not yet but just add it here for now.

More updated pictures of the restoration. While installing the burner tubes I noticed they were a bit tight and getting them in required a little persuasion. This resulted in some minor chipping of the enamel in the cookbox and question whether it contributes to the burn/rust out of the cook box. I was able to to campare the chipping on a 450 cookbox and this 420 cookbox and both appear to have the same marks.
Looks fantastic! Practically new!!!

Waiting on some new flavorizer bars and grates and she's ready for action. Thanks Bruce! I'm going to tinker with the flip up rotisserie motor from the 450 and see if I can get to go and maybe swap that entire unit over and the side burner since the end caps on the 420 are hard plastic and rhe 450 is stainless all around. Let's see what happens..... Any ideas or suggestions?

So I noticed that while moving the grill around the the doors shifted as the grill was being lifted and it caused some very minor rubbing of the paint on the new lower panel. I had some vinyl wrap around and added it to the area where the magnet hits and a little extra for those times it needs to be moved. Not the biggest invention but it's free and easy to do.
20230817_183737.jpg

Think this is it for this project. Installed a fresh set of grates and flavorizer bars and will be bringing out later today for a leak check. Once that's done it will be moved back up to the deck for it's maidan but in. Oh and I installed the lower front frame connector I forgot was out back drying since I painted it 🤦🏾(doh). Thankfully it was in the shed and didn't get wet with all the rain the last few days.

Attachments

• 20230818_115725.jpg
    20230818_115725.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230818_120151.jpg
    20230818_120151.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230818_120654.jpg
    20230818_120654.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 11
Question? I ran the leak test and all is well so thumbs up to that. Is there anything I should do prior to using it? I've seen people add PAM to the grates, flavorizer bars and drain pan? Others just get to the cooking. Thanks

If you are using CI grates, then it would be a good idea to season them with oil (pam or otherwise) and then heat them up good. Maybe do that a couple times to season them. You could do that to stainless grates, but I wouldn't bother. Doing the seasoning will duplicate the burn in as well. Then start cooking.

Back