Annual Wine Thread

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
I though I'd get this thread started early this year.

Current Favorites at our House:

label_CVC01C.jpg

Le Cigare Volant
label_BRS03C.jpg

Ca'del Solo Big House Red both http://www.bonnydoonvineyard.com/

prod_image_132.jpg

Red Truck
http://www.clinecellars.com/

label_02_merlot.jpg

Merlot & Cab
http://www.ckmondavi.com

bottleLg_Grand.jpg

Merlot, Cab & Syrah
http://www.columbiacrest.com/

intbg_01.gif

Merlot
www.yellowtailwineusa.com

Couple of wines we tried and did not like.
Two buck chuck aka trader joes charles shaw wine, cheap and gave us a headache not hangover relatedl.
Boomarang merlot just plain yuck.

I've got two sets of the Cigar Volante wines that came in the oversized cigar boxes. Soooooo cute! One is sealed, but I suppose I can drink the other bottles (but I haven't).

Where do I begin with the wines I love tho? Kilakanoon Siblings (beautiful silky smooth Aussie red---as opposed to the really big Tate's Ball Buster).

Whitcraft or Consilience pinot noirs. Shoot,there are so many good wines! Too many to list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J Lund:
An outstanding Merlot:

Chateau Ste Michelle "Reserve". 1998, 1999 or even a 2000 is great!

http://www.ste-michelle.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are just down the road from us. I agree with your choices and I've never had a CSM Canoe Ridge Merlot or Cab I did not rate highly. Most of my choices are under $8 confirming my tightwad wine tastes.

Staying on topic we found the movies sideways very funny.

I forgot to mention that in my post Konrad.

Very lucky to have a winery like that so close. I hear they have some great wine tasting parties.

I've been buying Ste Michele for several years no. I think the best price per bottle (case price) by me is around $35 for the '99 reserve.

They had a cellar clearance sale in 2000. I picked up a case of 1996 merlot for $7 a bottle. Only one left and they were all yummy. Our daughter was given the gift of a 1993 CSM Cab which is the year she was born. that will be fun when we open it when she turns 18 (in BC Canada to stay legal).

Susan
Thanks for the tip. I found a 2002 A Mano Primitivo to try. My usual wineshop was out of stock but said it is the same Grape as Zinfindel and is made in the California style at a better price.

I also run across these bargain reds while shopping for the A Mano. http://www.rexgoliath.com/ . I tasted them at an event I catered and was very impressed. Seems the judges were as well from the looks of the website.

"...she turns 18 (in BC Canada to stay legal)...." Actually I'm certain the drinking age in that province is 19. It's 18 in Alberta so you'll have to head here Konrad
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
"...she turns 18 (in BC Canada to stay legal)...." Actually I'm certain the drinking age in that province is 19. It's 18 in Alberta so you'll have to head here Konrad
icon_wink.gif
. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn,
Thanks for the tip i did not know in varied north of the border. In Switzerland i heard it's 16
icon_eek.gif
When i was growing up in England there were laws but the bars never enforced them. I was buying beer at the bar at 14 on school field trips as was everyone else. But those were also the days of a shooting range in the school attic and free bullets. OK now I feel old.

Yellowtail Shiraz - Australia - good value
R.L. Buller & Son Tawny Port - Australia - very good
Galawy Pipe - Tawny Port - Australia - Very good
Ruffino Riserva Ducale Chianti - Italy - Awesome!
Columbia Crest Riesling - Washington St. - good value
Fife Cabernet Sauvignon - California - excellent domestic Cab!
There are other misc. ports and ice wines I drink occassionally. I do buy some ports from Portugal, but I stick with domestic and canadian ice wines due to the price of German labels.

I've also heard people talk about Charles Shaw. Personally, I'd use it as a glue remover before I'd drink it again.

Actually "2 buck chuck" (it's 3 something by time it makes it out east to our Trader Joes) makes a nice sangria. Doesn't give you a headache the way other cheap wines do.

Agree wholeheartedly on the Rex Goliath Cab. Usually can find it for $5.99 on sale. I's made by Hahn in Montery County. Their regular Hahn label Cab, Syrah, and Meritage are also great at around $10.

Two of my other favorite value producers are Bogle and Jewel, both just down the road. Bogle's Petite Sirah, OVZ, Chenin Blanc, and PS Port are my favorites. Jewel's reds are all quite good for the price.

As for Two-buck, the syrah and the Sauvignon Blanc are not terrible, drinkable, and good cooking wines at $1.99. I made the chicken dish below with the SB yesterday and the sauce was delicious.

6 chicken leg quarters
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Cayenne
2 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups white wine
1 lemons, quartered
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the chicken in a large bowl and lightly coat with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Crush half of the garlic cloves with the back of a heavy knife. Leave the remaining cloves whole.
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a roasting pan large enough to hold the chicken in 1 layer, over 2 burners over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear on both sides. Add the crushed garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well to evenly distribute. Cover the pan tightly and roast for 1 hour. Uncover and roast until the chicken is brown and tender, and the garlic is caramelized, about 30 minutes, basting occasionally.
Remove from the oven. Transfer the chicken to a platter and sprinkle with the parsley. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken, or serve on the side.

Here's what I have been enjoying lately, and at $9.99, it's in my price range.

I use TJ's cheapos for cooking, but just can't drink them for some reason. The finish is gagging to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Ah, then, for a very pleasant affordable wine, how about "A Mano Primitivo" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found a bottle, liked it, but the original source was a little spendy. Found it today at Trader Joes for $7.99 and stocked up
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

According to the "trophy bottles":

Georges Dudceuf Beaujolais Nouveau
Goats do Roam 2002
Big *** Shiraz 2002
Ecco Domani Sangiovese 2001
Vierge Blanche Boutggne Pinot Noir 2002
Toad Hollow Pinot Noir 2001
Yellow Tail

...I never know what to pick out so I pick the ones with "pretty pictures" because my wife collects the bottles (hence, trophy bottles). If it's good, it's gone. If it's bad, it's used as a marinate for pork chops or steaks.

Wow! What a diverse group. I never would have guessed that so many of you enjoy such a wide variety of wines. For us, the Concannon Petite Sirah has been a favorite for the past year. At $9/bottle it's a terrific value - and tasty, too. At a bit higher price point we have been enjoying Walter Hansel Pinot Noir from the Russian River valley. We've had a couple of them: The South Slope ($45) and de la Montanya ($30).

Had a 2003 Sebastiani Pinot Noir the other nite. It's $8.99 at TJ's. Really smooth. The whole bottle went right down!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Will R.:
According to the "trophy bottles":

Yellow Tail

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What really impressed me about the Yellow Tail Merlot other than it's amazing bargain price of $5.99, is that it stands up to my extra hot fire roasted Salsa
icon_smile.gif

Back