Annual Wine Thread

I'm not a big wine drinker, but Yellow Tail is one that I do enjoy. The other one I really like is Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay and it had to be 2001 because it was the same year we were living in an apartment.

...and let's not forget Thunderbird. What's the price?

Fifty Twice! (Inflation)

I met the alleged originator of both Thunderbird and Night Train, Mr. Albion Fenderson, during my brief stint in the wine and liquor business. He is or was a V.P. at Gallo, and owns the Louisiana Gallo distributorship. He liked my "Top Ten Under Ten" wine promotion, and said he would remember me because of it, going so far as to scribble a note in his little memo pad he always carries. If I can find that list, I'll post it.

Doug D.--I don't want to go off thread, but my older brother gave me a bottle of MD 20/20 Bling Bling as a gift. After I actually consumed it over a period of several months, he told me it was a gag gift and that he didn't intend on me drinking it. He just wanted me to add it to the "bar area" in my converted garage. Heck, it still looks good there empty.

I love a bottle of Lindeman's Merlot. It's about $12 for a LARGE bottle. Yummy! I'm actually drinking some Blackstone merlot that I got for Valinties. It's also yummy!

This is a great thread. Any more suggestions? We've bought several based on the recommendations above.

Thanks,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
This is a great thread. Any more suggestions? We've bought several based on the recommendations above.

Thanks,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad you took my suggetion on the MD 20/20. You'll find the aftertaste to be very enjoyable, not to mention the headache.

It does seem that anything from Australia is a sure thing. My wife is on an Aussie wine kick and nothing has been used as a marinade, yet.

I just picked up a case of Fife Old Vine Zinfandel, after trying a bottle at my birthday dinner last month. Haven't cracked it open yet, but did learn a valuable lesson. After shopping it around the internet I was tempted to order it directly from CA---woulda' cost $26.99 a bottle, which was the lowest I could find, PLUS would have added $80 for the two cases I was getting (one for a friend). Called my friendly neighborhood wine merchant and he ordered it for me at $20.49 a bottle, and of course the shipping to his place cost me nothing! Just a short drive to pick it up.

Wow have I wasted alot of $$$ on shipping over the past few years. Lesson learned!

I regularly buy Rosemont Estates Shiraz and think it's excellent. I tried a Coppola Rosso blend that was recommended by a friends son who works where they make it. Says it's one of their big sellers. I haven't been able to get any more and I guess it's very popular around Pensacola. It's a blend. I have a bottle of Coppola Rosso Shiraz which I haven't tried yet. Their Diamond label is good, also. None of my suggestions go over $13 and most are well under.

Keep in mind this is written by a country lawyer who is certainly not an expert in the area of wine.

Paul

Here are a few reds I enjoy in the under $10 category:

Montes Malbec
Wynn's Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz/Merlot
Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz- Cabernet Sauvignon
Torres Sangre de Toro
Blackstone California Merlot
Ravenswood Vintner's Blend California Zinfandel
Marques de Caceres Rioja Red
Terrale Primitivo
KWV Roodeberg
Bogle Petite Sirah

Thanks, Doug D. I was confident you would find your list. I'll use it on my next shopping trip.

Paul

While cleaning up an older PC today, I ran across the last official Ten Under Ten list-- it even had the prices they sold at in this market in 2001. Some of these may no longer sell for under $10, but here they are anyway-- 6 reds, 3 whites, and a sparkler:

Rancho Zabaco Heritage Vines Zinfandel $8.15
Wynn's Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon $7.99
Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon $8.99
Faustino VII Rioja $9.54
Blackstone Merlot $9.99
KWV Roodeberg $8.99

Murphy-Goode Fume Blanc $9.99
Chateau Potelle Sauvignon Blanc $9.99
Sebastiani Chardonnay $9.49

Seaview Brut Sparkling $7.85

Back