An odd question on ribs.

Tom in VA

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a couple of slabs of ribs from BJ's to cook this weekend. I know the pack is too muuch to eat and I was going to vacuum seal and freeze half and cook the other half. I then got thinking, Would I be better off cooking them all and then frezing the uneaten portion? Or would it be better just to freeze them uncooked and then cook them later.

I realized I have always cooked them and never ended up with enough to freeze and eat later. But this time it going to just be me and my wife eating these.

Thank for your opnions.

Tom

It takes as long to cook two slabs of ribs as it does one. If you have the space, cook both now and vac-pack the extra slab. That way, you'll have it ready for gentle reheating whenever the mood strikes, regardless of the weather or your other obligations.

Also, for all you know, the ribs may have already been frozen at some point between the packer and the store. Freezing the extra slab a second time may cause substansial moisture and texture loss when you finally do cook it.

HTH!

Ken

Since you've got a FoodSaver (or it's equivalent) I would prefer to cook everything all at once and then vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers. That would save you from having to do multiple cooks. While I love to fire up the WSM, once I go through the trouble of smoking something, I like to get the most out of a cooking session and cook as much as I can and vacuum seal the leftovers.

I usually make extra to freeze. Cut the slabs in half and then seal them in a freezer vacuum bag. Then just pull a couple out of the freezer, put them in cool tap water, and slowly bring it up to a simmer. They will be heated through and still moist
icon_smile.gif
Enjoy!

Tom,

I prefer to freeze the uncooked ribs. I have done both and the cooked ribs will be fine. The advantage to that is you only cook once for both meals. I jsut enjoy the cooking so much that I save my uncooked meats and cook a second time. The wife has a girls day Saturday so it's just me and the 2 kids so I am taking the 3 slab pack from Sam's and cooking 2 slabs and freezing the other for later.

My wife says I am always the oddball anyway but I can live with that.

Randy

Cook 'em all. Freeze what you don't want to eat. The ones destined for the freezer, I'd make sure to leave the sauce off of them (assuming you're glazing at some point).

Thaw 'em out, gentle reheat in the oven, apply glaze last 10 mins or so of the reheat.

Definately do not freze uncooked ribs. Chances are, the ribs you are getting are already previously frozen, just a guess. In my experience, freezing ribs that have been frozen and thawed will cause them to be tough when cooked. It has happened to me once, and same deal with my uncle. Refreezing previously frozen ribs was the only common link I could come up with.

about a year ago, I cooked an extra slab of ribs. Fast forward a year... totally forgotten about it months and months ago. About a week ago, I was starving, didn't have time to cook anything, really, and went rummaging through my freezer. Hidden in the back were those two foodvac'd packages of ribs. 15 minutes later, after throwing those packages in gently simmering water, I was eating the world's greatest ribs.

Great surprise in no time at all.

Moral of the story is, as all others have mentioned, cook more than you need, food vac and freeze and you will be giving yourself presents to enjoy months in the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Definately do not freze uncooked ribs. Chances are, the ribs you are getting are already previously frozen, just a guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As you say, it is just a quess. I am more prone to think that fresh ribs are fresh, not frozen unless the signage says previously frozen. I always freeze the ribs that I buy in the store to use later, and have never had a problem.

This might be somewhat blashphemous, but IMO, reheats often taste BETTER than ribs coming right off the smoker.

Like Ken and others have said, it takes the same time to cook multiple slabs as it does to cook one.

So, figure 4-6 hours to cook the ribs, but only 10 mins or so per slab to prep them.

Normally, I'll smoker 6 slabs or so and freeze any that might be left over.

Now here is where the real heresy comes in. I have reheated a number of ways. I'll pull them out and set them on the counter to thaw, then either put them on the gas grill OR I have been known to microwave them using the "reheat" function.

****ed if they don't taste good that way.

The great thing about it is that you have downhome smoked ribs at your fingertips should the occassion arise.

A number of times people have come over and we decided to grill out on the spur of the moment.

No worries, Smoked ribs will be on the menu and they will only take 20 minutes
icon_smile.gif

Back