An article about smoking on the VWGG?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Chris, I’m tired of making foil pouches and am about to order a Weber 7576 Universal Stainless Steel Smoker Box for my Genesis grill. I find it interesting that the box is placed on the cooking grate, not on the flavorizer bars. Other than losing a bit of grilling real estate, I like that idea.

I read a good tip in the Amazon reviews: for low and slow cooking, put the box on the flavorizer bars instead, because the the wet chips will continue to smoke in that location in spite of the lower heat of L/S cooking.

Note that the newer models of the smoker box have slots between the holes, to match the vegetable basket.

Chris, would you consider doing an in-depth article on smoking on a gas grill?

Rita

Chris, I’m tired of making foil pouches and am about to order a Weber 7576 Universal Stainless Steel Smoker Box for my Genesis grill. I find it interesting that the box is placed on the cooking grate, not on the flavorizer bars. Other than losing a bit of grilling real estate, I like that idea.

I read a good tip in the Amazon reviews: for low and slow cooking, put the box on the flavorizer bars instead, because the the wet chips will continue to smoke in that location in spite of the lower heat of L/S cooking.

Note that the newer models of the smoker box have slots between the holes, to match the vegetable basket.

Chris, would you consider doing an in-depth article on smoking on a gas grill?

Rita

Rita, I’ve had a cast iron smoker box that I've used with my Genesis 1000LX for years and what I have discovered is that for high heat steaks, burgers, etc it will give a nice light smoke if placed on the FBs but nothing if placed on the grill. Low and slow on the FBs might work better because the chips won't burn up as fast.
My overall experience is there is just too much air flow to create a heavy smoke in the cooking chamber. Fire needs air and lots of it so there isn't much lingering smoke.
But I do think an article from Chris on the subject would be very interesting.

Rita,

I have tried 2 methods to get smoke when using my gas grill. The first one is as Rich mentioned by placing the smoker box right on the flavorizer bars. It does OK as Rich said

The second one I lit up about 5-6 charcoals and placed them in the smoker box, then put a wood chunk on top of them. This worked Ok as well. Not sure why I did it like this. I always have charcoal around cuz of my WSM and I was too lazy to lift up the grates and put it on the fb's. (I know, I'm a go getter). This did produce a lot of smoke but as said, the open nature of the grill causes the wood to burn up quicker

Yesterday I saw a smoker box that had a V shape at the bottom to fit in between the flavorizer bars and thought that it looked like a good idea.

Back