America's Test Kitchen, WSM

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
I apologize if this has come up before. Was just watching America's Test Kitchen. They reviewed smokers (WSM was top choice! No surprise for those here). However, they referred to the the heat shield on the bottom as an ash catcher. Doh! I was so annoyed I emailed them a letter. I thought they did their research and knew their stuff.
While we're on the subject, they also talked about the water pan, how it keeps the meat moist, etc. Are we the only ones that understand that the water pan is a heat sink, keeping the low temps stabile, while the rest of the Q'ing universe thinks it is steaming the meat while it smokes? Or am I wrong completely on this one?
Thanks.

i'm not convinced that the water in the water pan doesn't have an effect on the moisture of the food.

however I never use water because I can't really tell the difference

If it's on the internet, (or America's Test Kitchen) it's gotta be true!

maybe it IS an ash catcher!

I don't think the steam does much to the meat overall as a lot of it just goes out the vent.
I do think it helps with temps on a WSM, as they tend to run hot.
You don't see a water pan in the UDS's.

I apologize if this has come up before. Was just watching America's Test Kitchen. They reviewed smokers (WSM was top choice! No surprise for those here). However, they referred to the the heat shield on the bottom as an ash catcher. Doh! I was so annoyed I emailed them a letter. I thought they did their research and knew their stuff.
While we're on the subject, they also talked about the water pan, how it keeps the meat moist, etc. Are we the only ones that understand that the water pan is a heat sink, keeping the low temps stabile, while the rest of the Q'ing universe thinks it is steaming the meat while it smokes? Or am I wrong completely on this one?
Thanks.

It actually is an ash catcher...... from a One Touch Silver though!!

I don't think the steam does much to the meat overall as a lot of it just goes out the vent.
I do think it helps with temps on a WSM, as they tend to run hot.
You don't see a water pan in the UDS's.
I have bee curious about the same things. I believe the WSM is much more stable using water but I still prefer the clay saucer especially for clean-up. As far as the UDS goes, most of the kits I've seen use a ball valve for air control and I have to think they are alot more airtight than a WSM.

Back