amazing kettles

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
well i just started the first cleaning of the two kettles i got before winter. both showed a lot of use with no cleaning. stuffed looked reall thick and gunky. so i start to clean and i see that things are not as bad as i thought. the newer 18 kettle is now looking almost new. i don't think i have to replace anything. the 22 though will need a new one touch system and a top grate which i have many of. i thought the 22 would be rusted badly under all the junk but now it looking in way better shape than i thought. man, its amazing how these things can take the abuse and come out looking great in the end with some tlc.

That's great news George! Be sure to send us some pics when they're finished.

I've been working on an ER date code, wooden handled, One-Touch Platinum redhead that a friend was kind enough to bring me from Florida when he came to Alabama deer hunting back in February.

I got the old one touch system removed and the new one installed last weekend.

Tomorrow, I'll steel wool the legs and treat the wooden handles.

I'll give it a new charcoal grate and cooking grate just because I have a bunch of them, but the old ones weren't bad.

Isn't this fun! I'm already looking for my next project.

Pat

yep, its fun. i just convinced my neighbor to let me clean up his weber kettle. thing looks sad and he said he never cleaned it. doing it as a favor as he looks after my place when i'm gone and he gives me some fresh tomatos and oranges when he has extra. yumm. i'm experimenting on the legs. i sprayed one pair with a clear high temp paint. we will see how that goes.

Pat, you mentioned treating the handles. Can you tell me whats involved? I have 6 or 8 that are in fairly good shape, really faded,. and would like to fix them up

not sure about pat but i just sand them and then treat them with some mineral oil. some will sand them and then put some clear polyurethane on them. i prefer the oil.

Michael, throw away those old wood han.... Wait!
Send those wood handles to ME and I'll replace each and every one of them with BRAND NEW Weber plastic handles and you'll NEVER hafta to deal with cleaning those old wood handles EVER again!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip on the oil-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
not sure about pat but i just sand them and then treat them with some mineral oil. some will sand them and then put some clear polyurethane on them. i prefer the oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I'll keep 'em. I need them for the new spring team photo. It's grown since the last one I took. I've added a red master touch, an old 26 and a 2001 silver C gasser. My first Weber Gas grill by the way. I want to get a good picture to share with y'all. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back