Am I the only one...

Cool...the meat is on. I bought 5lbs of top round from my local butcher. He sliced it on "2.5" I'm guessing a setting on the slicer. It appears to be about a quarte of an inch thick. The following is the maranide:

5 pounds of beef (or any meat type)
5 ounces of liquid smoke
15 ounces of Lea & Perrins OR Worcestershire
15 – 20 ounces of teriyaki sauce
15 – 20 ounces of soy sauce
2 – 4 Tb. of garlic powder
2 – 4 Tb. of dark brown sugar
2 – 4 Tb. of onion powder
2 – 4 ounces of molasses OR dark corn syrup
2 – 4 tsp. of Cayanne pepper

I'm setting the DigiQ on 165 degrees for I'm hoping six to eight hours. We will see depending on how things go thru the night. Be back later for more updates

sounds tasty, James. Why do you need liquid smoke? Do you find it easier to control the flavor vs chunks or chips, or do you prefer the flavor?

Great question, usually I use an dehydrator. This is my first attempt at using the WSM to make jerky and I didn't think about adding or not adding ls. I am using one small chunk of apple wood. I will keep that in mind and adjust accordingly. And thanks for the question.

I'm one and half hours into the smoke. I preheated the grill to 180 as I skered the meat onto tooth picks. After loading the rack I turned the DigiQ down to 165. My thought is to quickly raise the temp of the meat to 180, to kill any possible bacteria. And them a slow cool, if you will,to 165 to finish out. The vent on top is set at a quarter open and on the DigiQ to half. I'm currently at a pit temp of 167.

I have not peeked under the lid but things are smelling good. Funny thing just occurred to me, as I sit here listening to the grill snapping and crackling. I think I listen to my WSM better than I do my wife.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as I sit here listening to the grill snapping and crackling. I think I listen to my WSM better than I do my wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, if I could tell you how many times I've heard that one :)))

6am checked the grill after a few hours sleep. The pit temp was down to 156. I added 10 unlit and 10 lit to the bowl. The temperature quickly rose and settled in the mid 160's. I sampled a smaller piece of jerky, good flavor but the texture is not there yet. Needs a little more time. I'll be back later with more updates...jr

8:30am: pit temp is still holding good at 165. Sampled another piece, getting really close to being done. It does have a good flavor, more of a smoked meat rather than jerky. The crust is just getting crispy while in inside is still meaty...more updates later

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as I sit here listening to the grill snapping and crackling. I think I listen to my WSM better than I do my wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, if I could tell you how many times I've heard that one :))) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And, the WSM doesn't care if you have just one more beer.

Final thoughts and notes:
I do not think I have permission to post pictures yet, as I have tried.

At the time of my last post I began pulling off the small pieces as there were more done than the larger. I let the larger pieces stay on until a little after 9am. The flavor was not much jerkey but more of a smoked meat. The thickness of the meat could have been a little thinner. Overall I am pleased, I have a nice final product.

I set the DigiQ at 165 and the grill held nicely all night. This was my second cook using an ATC and I'm very pleased with the results. I have learned thru my first two cooks using the DigiQ that go ahead and load plenty of fuel in the bowl and stop fidgetting with the grill. The first smoke I used too little fuel and the fan ran nearly constantly, although it held my temperature. For the jerkey I used a full chimney and the fan ran much less. For both smokes I used the minion method, adding just a few lit charcoal to the pile and allowed the wsm to preheat. One the smoker is loaded and the lid is on don't touch anything for at least an hour. I learned this after I got sleepy and didn't check on the WSM for a couple of hours. In he first hour of the smoke I was adjusting everything and could not get a stable temp. After I returned from my nap the DigiQ and WSM were as one. As they should be...

Thank you gor reading and giving feed back....jr

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Rozar:
I do not think I have permission to post pictures yet, as I have tried. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No one has permission to upload photos to this discussion forum due to bandwidth restrictions.

See Posting Photos & Videos for instructions on how you can include photos in your posts.

Regards,
Chris

Back