Am I biting off more than I can chew??

SMeadows

TVWBB Member
Just got my WSM and I'm itching to fire it up. Only problem is that it's cold here in VA; days usually seeing a high of 25-30 degrees. Would it be crazy to attempt to smoke a turkey as my first smoke in this weather?

No way! Go for it. I just did three chuck roast last week with no problems. People way north of me are still cooking, you will be fine. Wind can hurt you as well as rain, but cold is usually not a problem unless it is bitter cold, which you won't have to worry about. Now I should make it clear <span class="ev_code_RED">TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES</span>!
icon_smile.gif
You might notice a little more charcoal is used in cold weather, but no biggie. Good luck!!!

I did a brisket this last weekend in that kind of weather.

Left top vent open.

Had one bottom vent open, one about 3/4 open and one closed.I normally just have one open so no real difference.

Like Shane said it is the wind that effects these smokers more than the cold. Make sure you fill it to the rim with fuel. Once the temp stabilizes you can pretty much just keep an eye on it. It is amazing how consistant they burn.

Thanks guys...you've given me the confidence to give it a shot. If I don't have too many troubles I'm going to smoke a boston butt next tuesday for my alma mater's bowl game. Football and smoked meats are a perfect match...

SMe, don't worry about the cold, it's the wind that'll dampen your fun...
I've WSM'd in -5'F temps without problems...

Most importantly....Have fun while you're cold!
smiley-gen125.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Smoked a couple of pork butts and a beef chuck roast a week ago in the wind, snow and temp under 20 degrees the entire time. The WSM just smokes away. I did rig a wind break and would add that as a suggestion.

Mike

The turkey smoke is off. No real issues thus far. Prob should've added a few more coals, but lid temp is steady @ 315 and grate ytemp is 345 and I'm about 30 minutes in. Will post final pics and hopefully tonight. Thanks again guys...

Here's some photos of the results. Everything turned out really good. Turkey tasted awesome and was incredibly moist. My wife thought it was the best turkey leg she'd ever eaten. Next time I need to make more brine (obvious from the pic posted). Thanks for those that helped!

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1307.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

Back