Alton Brown's version of the WSM

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hope I can get this pic inserted.

food2.jpg

Only problem I can see is that the thing would run quite hot unless you tweaked the fuel...no heatsink. I'm sure the temps would be all over the place as well!

Doug...thanks for the help with the image.
icon_smile.gif

The problem I see is that the grease from the meat will be dripping down on the Smokey Joe. People think a water pan is hard to clean, well that would just be a mess.

Alton had a better idea with his big 'ol flower pot smoker.

Yeah, but how much grease will there be from a hotdog on a bun
icon_smile.gif
(see diagram from OP)

Anton

Originally posted by Jerry N.:
The problem I see is that the grease from the meat will be dripping down on the Smokey Joe. People think a water pan is hard to clean, well that would just be a mess.

Alton had a better idea with his big 'ol flower pot smoker.

I would not use a galvanized trash can for cooking food.
icon_eek.gif

This thing looks like it would be cumbersome to use; it would be hard to tend the fire.

Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:
I would not use a galvanized trash can for cooking food.
icon_eek.gif

Many many years ago I hacked together a 30 gallon galvanized trash can with grill grates and an electric hotplate. Worked beautifully for low temp smoking (trout, turkey breasts, babybacks). For the meats I would usually finish them off on a gas grill, get them to final temp that way.
I eventually converted that over to propane so that I could take it camping.
Worked quite well. That it was galvanized was not an issue, I'd have to get it up to a temp well over 1000ºF before any of the nasty stuff would start to happen.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
That is funny. It got me thinking and to tell you the truth, I havent seen a metal garbage can anywhere in years.

I have one that I use for WSM ash, and usually used cat litter.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Stella:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
That is funny. It got me thinking and to tell you the truth, I havent seen a metal garbage can anywhere in years.

I have one that I use for WSM ash, and usually used cat litter.

Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that make for a funny flavor in the bbq?

Just joking Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

In American BBQ history the early cooking methods would be this style of cooking, direct 18 to 21" (long debates over which is better).
As the fat breaks down it get vaporized as it drips towards the heat source. Would have been fueled by wood burned down coals (lump charcoal cold be used here). The fat burning off does give the meat a flavor that you can only get cooking this way.

Big drum Cookers are built in this style, here is a link:
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/about.htm
Rocky posted here years ago.

Jim

a few things"wrong" there. i've seen several
barrel smokers using the joe as the heat/smoke
source. all had an adjustable hole in the top
lid. also all the joe's had the lid off.
thus temp can be controled by the hole on the top such as a weber system plus the lower holes can be coverd/uncovered as needed.
galvanised trash cans are ok cuz the temp would need to be very high for anything to be toxic.
also all of the barrell smokers i saw have the bottom cut out so they can be lifted to tend the joe if needed.

Back