"alternative" view of grillgrates

Mark Alcorn

I ordered a set of grillgrates for my Weber Performer after learning of them via a thread in this forum. I've used them twice and, at this point, I wonder the following:

One purpose (main purpose?) of the gg is to prevent flare up. Does this feature work to prevent the char effect that so many of us like on much of our meat (purposeful and/or accidental)? I have only used the gg twice -- pork chops and burgers -- and so my experience is limited. But, after two cooks, it seems as though gg produce a really clean cook, but does not allow for a good char. For example, if I am going to try to get a good herb char on a NY strip, will I be able to do it? It appears not. So, if this is the case, do I want to use grillgrates? Or, get the char on the portion without gg and then place for finishing cooking on the gg?
I can see the usefulness more on my Summit than my Performer.

Or...is there a learning curve to the grillgrates and I'll be able to do exactly with the gg what I do without them?

Thanks in advance

There is a bit of a learning curve, but if you experiment more with them you will get to know how to use them for what you would like to do.
If you want great char turn the grates upside down and they will give you great char.

Mark, i just looked at your location. That explains everything. ;-)

Last edited:
+1 on what Bob said. If you want great char, flip the great over. It seem that I tend to use them flipped over more often than not. For burgers, always flipped over.

I can't see the point. Might as well cook on a flattop. YMMV

Yup, might as well. But I can flip them over and use the other side. I needed new grates for my genesis and these were a perfect fit replacement. Not to mention, I don't worry about flare ups with fatty or oily meats.

Mark, you just need to get use to using the gg to achieve the char you are looking for. I find these things do great when super hot. I can achieve char on either side of the grates. I have the gg and part of my stock grate on my platinum and tend to use the gg exclusively. I still use the stock grate too.

I do think that when I use my Summit, I will set it up as you show on your grill. However, I am yet to be convinced on a charcoal grill such as my Performer. But, I am certainly going to give it a shot and see.

Thanks.

Mark, you just need to get use to using the gg to achieve the char you are looking for. I find these things do great when super hot. I can achieve char on either side of the grates. I have the gg and part of my stock grate on my platinum and tend to use the gg exclusively. I still use the stock grate too.

Grilled up some Italian sausage on my model A kettle tonight using the gg from my genesis. The genesis just wasn't heating. I did use the back side of the gg but got great gook in 2 minutes. No finish shots but here they are on the kettle. Oh, I was making another deep dish on the kettle tonight and was precooking the sausage.

It took me a while before I bought these for my Genesis. If I do a reverse sear on a couple ribeyes, using my normal grates to bring them up to temp, and the the GG's upside down for the sear, I can get a GREAT crust on them. If I am doing burgers or chicken, I put them the normal way and get great grill marks on the meat without flame ups. They are worth the money. Wish I would have bought them sooner.

If you are thinking of buying them, search here and there is a code for I think 10% off. It's a buddy thing after buying. I think you can search on my nick...

Bob Correll kindly shared the coupon code in ANOTHER THREAD:

The code is: share14.
Be sure to click "apply" on their website to make sure it works for you.

Rita

Last edited:
I used one of the three that I have for loin chops last night.
After a bit I flipped it over to char the entire chop surface.
Unlike a regular griddle these have enough holes to drip the juices and sizzle, but seldom flare.
I'll post the cook in the Photo Gallery later since I also have a new revised review of Coshell charcoal.

IMGP0878.JPG

Noticed a so-so review of GrillGrates in Consumer Reports September 2014 issue:

...we tested them on two grills that scored fair or poor for evenness in our high-heat tests and on another grill that flared frequently. The results were mixed. They improved evenness on one grill but not the other. GrillGrates reduced flare-ups when we cooked salmon and tuna but didn't do as well when we grilled burgers.

They go on to say it's tempting to give them a try since there is a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, even if used.

You can receive 15% off on Grill Greats for the next 4 days using promo code GrillOn. If you've been on the fence, now is the time to get your feet wet.
Good luck and good cooking

Bill

I use my grill grates on my gasser 100% of the time and on occasions throw them on my Ranch Kettle. I have not used them upside down for a char because my are older and well used and I wonder if the underside would impart a bad taste to the meat.

question: to those that use the GG upside down after using the 'right side up' is there a residual taste from the GG?

Back