Alright! WSM time! Big Hello from Kansas City!!

JeremyMSmith

Hey Everyone!

Just joined TVWB a few weeks ago after I purchased a 22.5 WSM.:wsm22: I'm a KC native but live out in the burbs on the KS side. I've been smoking meats since 2010. With the help of my brother, I built my first stick burner from the Vogelzang kit. it was really nice but ended up selling because it cost about $7-9 hour to run it. Yikes! So, at any rate moved towards a Kamado style. I was very pleased with its performance but a good friend of mine had been using his WSM for quite some time and really liked his control and how clean it cooked! A few years ago, I started competing in KCBS comps and when I had trouble with grill when I needed consistent temps, I decided to go for the WSM. Also, I'd like to point out that almost every other person at the The Great Lenexa BBQ had at least one of the WSM's or more for their comp meats. The person 3 spots down had 3 running simultaneously and the team next to us won 3rd overall and know he cooked his chicken and pork butt on his! Just sayin...I just knew I had to go for it! :) So, ran my first seasoning last weekend and was really impressed with the control. Just threw a few brawts on their just to see how they cooked. I noticed a lot of leakage in the door and lid, and saw that it chewed through all of my KBB charcoal in just 4.5 hours! Nonetheless, I already had plans to add nomex around the door and lid. Just wrapped up my first successful run this past weekend and had absolutely fantastic results!!:cool: I'm considering the lid hinge mod but for now, my leakage has virtually dropped to zero and my fuel source lasted 2x as long. I had plenty of left charcoal left over after my 5.5 hour run.

So glad my buddy talked me into WSM!! I'll be running this as often as possible and have a of work to do before the next comp in Oct! Cheers!

Sincerely,
Jeremy

Welcome Jeremy! WSM's are great to use, not much of a learning curve to get them dialed in. What will you smoke the most?

Hey Bob! Thanks for the warm welcome! Well, most of the time I'll be cooking pork butt, sausage, ribs and chicken. I occasionally dabble in brisket, but with this rig, I hope to experiment with brisket because I have more confidence with holding temps with the longer cooks. Cheers! Jeremy

Back