Alot of Ash build up on overnight cook. Have a few questions

James C

Ok, I've searched and not much coming up directly on the topic about ash. I'm cooking on a WSM 22.5 with a BBQGuru DigiQ DX2. I'm using Kingsford Blue Bag. I filled the ring up to the point if I added anymore it would spill over the charcoal ring. I removed the center and did the Minion Method (as I usually do). I had 2- 9lb butts. I set the controller for 220. I put on at around 10:30. I came out the next morning around 10:00am and it was starting to go low on fuel. I tapped the legs of the smoker to knock the ash down. I messed around for a little before deciding I needed to put more fuel on. I grabbed about 1/2 chimney's worth unlit and through them on the hot coals that was left. about 1-2pm I needed more, and my temps were struggeling to stay around 200 it was going from 190-205 Even tapping legs etc. I look in and the bowl is full of ash like sitting flush with the grate level. I know at this point my BBQ Guru fan has to be struggling as its running 90-100% continuous trying to stoke the coals. The ash build up was so much it was blocking everything.

Has anyone had any problems with this much ash build up. This is the first time I tried to stay at 220 (figured I would try it out but it took a lot longer then my normal 235 to 250 cooks in the past). The meat was on for almost 16 hours and still only reached 185 and I took off foiled and rested in a cooler for few hours till we arrived at our destination for dinner. Would there be this much ash/fuel consumption cooking 220 versus 235 to 250 temps. I mean I practically couldnt add anymore fuel as it was full of ashes in the bottom.

we live against a corn field so the back of our house is completly open. But this cook was a little different. cause I normally can go 12-15 hours on a cook and it would just be running out but there wouldnt be ash to the top of the coal grate. Yes we get a moderate amount of wind even if its not "windy" we get a draft comes up over the slight hill in the field and against the back of our house (our electric heat bill in the winter is fierce like 500 month fierce)
Late night high wind issue ?

Back