Almost new 1980 Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark H (Ottawa)

1980kettle.jpg

Found this slightly used kettle late last fall (still in the box). The weather has now improved to assemble it and cook some burgers. It seems heavier than my 2008 OTS. Might have to get a cover for this one.

That's a beauty! I like the three wheelers with the ash pans and metal handles best. I have a red one the same exact model as yours with that ash pan that's between an old twist on and the one held on with the metal tabs. I think the three wheelers also make the best kettle smokers. Very nice!

Now how about a shot of some of those Ottowa oysters on there?
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Curious as to where you found one that old still in the box. Can you share the story?

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, did you find it here in Ottawa??

Seeing all these older black kettles is giving me the itch to find and get one. Particularly a 3 wheeler/Bar-B-Kettle. Question is, how to justify it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
Seeing all these older black kettles is giving me the itch to find and get one. Particularly a 3 wheeler/Bar-B-Kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call Weber and see if they have any new bowls still in stock. When I last talked to them a couple of years ago they did, but that's obviously not a guarantee for today. IIRC it was $65+shipping for a new one. Sure, you'd have to provide everything else but it should be easy to transfer those parts over from a junker.

Nice find, Mark!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark H (Ottawa):
Might have to get a cover for this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't cheap out. Make sure you get the premium cover for that beauty!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Curious as to where you found one that old still in the box. Can you share the story?

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, did you find it here in Ottawa?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a local online ad with a stock photo of a OTS for $25. I figured for that price I should check it out.

When I arrived at his house the box was on his front porch with the axle, wheels and two legs on top. The box looked old and when I opened it...voila...a barely used 3 wheeler with a wooden handle (love that wood), charcoal rails and tool holder.

The gentleman said it was his Dad's and was only used once or twice. It must have been bought in the USA because the box has a shipping label to an Army Base in Georgia (Fort Gillem). It also had a price written on it.....$59.99

We settled on $20 and into my garage it went for the winter. I've used it for two weeks now and can't get over how much heavier the cooking grate is compared to my OTS. They don't make'm like that anymore!

Great find and story...I'am still using my dads 30+ year old bar b kettle they are imho the best weber ever made the temp control on those old daisy wheel kettles is GREAT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james n:
Great find and story...I'am still using my dads 30+ year old bar b kettle they are imho the best weber ever made the temp control on those old daisy wheel kettles is GREAT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I second that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back